Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

MWF is on Twitter. Follow @MystryWrtrs for forum tweets. See who we're following.

collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 214
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Turning a body?  (Read 8754 times)

AidanMarsh

• Cub
Turning a body?
« on: March 01, 2018, 11:54:21 PM »

I have a short scene in my novel where the medical examiner shows the police officer bruising and scratches on the front of the victim's body, then a bullet wound in the victim's back. How would the body be turned over? What personnel would be required? Is this even a reasonable thing for an M.E. to do—is there another way the M.E. would show the officer all the wounds?

Old Bill

• Ink Slinger
Re: Turning a body?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 08:27:05 AM »

From my experiences at autopsies (many eons ago), usually the ME and his assistants have already examined and x-ray'd the body prior to the actual cutting. Photographs are taken of significant injuries and trauma before, during and after the post. If a police investigator is present (not always), the ME would point out such things pertinent to the case or cause of death. Handling and turning the body is usually done by the assistants if required. As I recall, it is not a murder until the ME declares it so. Any death scene belongs to the ME (at least in NY) but the actual investigation is deferred to the appropriate LE agency. (Just a side note: In one fire scene I had with multiple deaths, the ME did not feel comfortable with the local police department (so he said) and called upon our Sheriff's Dept. to take over the investigation. It was probably more political than a lack of confidence, but that is the way of the world sometimes.)

Hope this helps a little. I wonder just how much the turning of the body is important in the scene.

Good luck,

Old Bill

Something I always suggest to writers is "get it from the horse's mouth". Take a trip to a Medical Examiners office or police dept. and explain that you are/trying to be a writer and ask questions. Be professional in your demeanor and appearance. You'd be surprised how cooperative they can be. Doesn't hurt to develop lines of communication with personnel there for when you need future advice. Always offer to give credits in your book for the dept and individuals.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 08:35:50 AM by Old Bill »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

* Calendar
March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 42 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal