Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 49
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Evidence Gathering--Fingerprint Dilemma  (Read 7813 times)

Kat

• Hack
Evidence Gathering--Fingerprint Dilemma
« on: March 04, 2013, 10:21:52 AM »

Okay, this should be simple for those in the know but a dilemma for me:

My MC's resort cabin was ransacked, clothes ripped to shreds. One murder has already taken place nearby and the police think she's the next target. My question:

If the gathering of evidence includes fingerprints, would my MC have to go to the station to be fingerprinted to eliminate hers or do they have an on-site method they can use for their convenience?

My other question:

Being a resort, the cabin is full of fingerprints so I'm not even sure they would take the time. Does anyone have an opinon on that?

Old Bill

• Ink Slinger
Re: Evidence Gathering--Fingerprint Dilemma
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 07:08:17 PM »

Your questions are pretty general.  A lot would depend on where the resort is...domestic/foreign.  Size of the police department conducting the investigation.  I'm sure most depts would have the ability to take elimination prints at the scene...we used a simple Porelon ink pad made by Sirchie to do that.  It was more dense than a sponge type stamp pad.  Of course if no prints were found - no need for elims.

A simple burglary/criminal mischief might not get the techs out in a small dept but since the MC may be in danger there is a better likelihood they would or if not able they may call in a larger dept's techs.  You're right about many fingerprints in a resort cabin but certain areas could reveal fresh prints...point of entry, personal items, objects that the MC knows have been moved or touched. 

An experienced tech usually has an eye for what objects might render fingerprints but not knowing your story and whether a print is important, you have the option of sloppy police work or stellar evidence gathering by someone, oh let's say, old and retired...like me.

Good luck with your story.  I'm sure others will want to chime in with more updated information.

Old Bill

Kat

• Hack
Re: Evidence Gathering--Fingerprint Dilemma
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 07:54:58 PM »

Thank you so much, Old Bill! You've really helped me out  ;D I was hoping, because of the story, that she didn't have to go to the police station, yet.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

* Calendar
March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 45 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal