Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 200
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Parolees and Passports  (Read 3956 times)

Bob Mueller

• Administrator
  • Ink-Stained Wretch
  • Benevolent Admin
    • More about me
Parolees and Passports
« on: April 27, 2011, 04:39:19 PM »

Danny is a California parolee, who served 15 years for check kiting and identity fraud.

Under normal CA parolee rules, there's no allowance for international travel, unless you're in the Merchant Marine. He's not.

Danny becomes convinced that his kidnapped daughter is in Argentina, and figures out a way to get down there without too much trouble. But first, he needs a passport. The passport app specifically forbids someone from applying if they are subject to a "criminal court order forbidding my departure from the United States."
I wrestled with that for a while. The Title 15 was rules and regulations, not a court order. But I was under the authority of the Title 15 because of a court order. But all the parole rules said was don't travel. Crap.

He applies anyway, and gets the passport.

I need to ratchet up the tension a bit right before Danny leaves.

Can a parole officer search passport records for a particular person? Is that likely to be a normal search capability from a standard CA police terminal? And what's California's main database called, anyway? I know Ohio's is LEADS.

I know parolees give up some 4th amendment rights, and a PO can search the parolee's residence at almost any time with no warning. I might throw one of those in, too.
--
Bob

Sometimes it takes therapy to put the past behind you. Other times, it takes a 20 gallon trash bag and a couple of cinder blocks.

Bob Mueller

• Administrator
  • Ink-Stained Wretch
  • Benevolent Admin
    • More about me
Re: Parolees and Passports
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 04:48:32 PM »

CA database system is called CLETS, I discovered. So that's one question answered.

So could Danny's PO check CLETS or NCIC and find out that Danny now has a passport? And I wonder what the lag time is on data entry & synchronization? That is, how long from the time he gets the passport until that data is present in NCIC and viewable?
--
Bob

Sometimes it takes therapy to put the past behind you. Other times, it takes a 20 gallon trash bag and a couple of cinder blocks.

Old Bill

• Ink Slinger
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 10:28:35 PM »

Bob,

Have you considered the wait period for processing a passport app?  Seems to me if the MC is looking for his kidnapped daughter, he may want to expedite his travel plans, i.e. sneak in to Argentina or perhaps go thru a port authority that can issue immediate passports for dire circumstances...NYC for one (but I have no idea how that works or what kind of background they search.)  He would probably have to lie on the app.  But then all is fair in love, war and kidnapped daughters.

Old Bill

BTW: An aside to my Foreign Language post... my one neighbor is from Argentina and he said that most of the South American countries have different dialects of Spanish and even he doesn't understand all of them.  So be careful.

Bob Mueller

• Administrator
  • Ink-Stained Wretch
  • Benevolent Admin
    • More about me
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 10:44:58 PM »

The Los Angeles office, among a few others across the country, issues a passport on-the-spot (for a huge fee, and only under certain circumstances), so that's how he's getting it. He's got an anxious hour or so waiting for it, but he's going to get it.

Just wondering if his PO got a wild hair, could he check to see if Danny has one. I think by the time he does, Danny will be on a plane.
--
Bob

Lance Charnes

• Ink Slinger
    • Wombat Group
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 12:24:03 AM »

He could just do it the old-fashioned way -- go to MacArthur Park and buy a passport under a fake name. It would probably cost less than the State Department's instant-service fee. He might be able to get a deal on a matching CDL and Social Security card.
DOHA 12
On Kindle and Nook
Paperback: Amazon | B&N

Twitter | Facebook
Pages: [1]   Go Up

* Calendar
March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.015 seconds with 46 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal