Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New Profile Fields Available. More info here.

collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 19
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: could a PI really tell?  (Read 21603 times)

B L McAllister

• Ink-Stained Wretch
could a PI really tell?
« on: July 01, 2013, 10:46:10 PM »

(This is just for curiosity, now, because I don't think I'll really write the story that was going to use it. It didn't seem to work, for too many reasons.)
A suspect contends that at the time of the crime he was on the beach in, say, the Bahamas and has a winter's tan to "prove it." Can the sharp eye of a suitably well-informed or well-trained PI tell a beach tan from a tanning bed tan? How about a chemical tan? Could a doctor tell? (Without getting the suspect stark naked.)
Byron Leon McAllister.
Books by Byron and Kay McAllister can most easily be obtained as e-books or in print from the publisher at http://www.writewordsinc.com/ For "Undercover Nudist," the print version is an improved version of the ebook version. The others are the same in both formats.

linda

• Ink Slinger
Re: could a PI really tell?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 06:38:18 PM »

I forget who had a daughter on this site who works in the ME's office,  but she could answer this better than I could about differences in natural and tanning bed tans.

That said, I doubt very much that if his only claim to an alibi is that he has a tan in winter is going to be enough.   There're way too many variances for that to be an acceptable alibi.

To start with, a tan doesn't take all that long?  Did he get the tan and then come back? 

I'd also be asking for a lot more proof for his alibi than that. I'd want to see plane tickets,  hotel bills,  and several people who saw him at that location on the days he stated he was there.  Without that backup evidence,  there is no way I'd accept a "suntan in winter" as an alibi.

So,  as a law enforcement officer, I would need a lot more than a tan for proof of alibi.   That wouldn't work for me in your story.

Linda

B L McAllister

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 12:50:31 PM »

I gave up on the story for a number of reasons, and I'll add your reasons to the list. But, as I began by saying, now I'm just curious about whether there's any way to tell.
Byron Leon McAllister.
Books by Byron and Kay McAllister can most easily be obtained as e-books or in print from the publisher at http://www.writewordsinc.com/ For "Undercover Nudist," the print version is an improved version of the ebook version. The others are the same in both formats.

Old Bill

• Ink Slinger
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 12:09:00 PM »

Actually, it could be used as a way to "arouse" suspicion that someone is/is not telling the truth.  Just sayin'.  Hope you guys had a safe and happy 4th!!

B L McAllister

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 01:44:51 PM »

Good idea. Thanks, though for the moment at least I can't use it since that story doesn't work. Maybe in something else. Meantime, I'm still just wondering whether the difference can be observed (by a trained observer, anyhow). :-\
Byron Leon McAllister.

Dave Freas

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2013, 02:04:05 PM »

Could someone who ran a tanning salon tell you?

If anyone would know, I'd think they'd be the ones.

Also, to add to what Linda said, if I was your PI, I'd canvas local tanning places with a picture of the suspect and ask if he'd been patronizing their businesses.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Picaroon

• Cub
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 10:56:39 AM »

I know this is an old thread but thought I would reply anyway.

I've used tanning salons a lot over the years, a few months before every cruise or Carribean vacation.  I've noticed a few things that might help one distinguish between a salon tan and the real thing.

First, the tiny plastic goggles they give you for eye protection in the salons will give you a distinct look around the eyes.  The insides of the eye sockets won't be tanned, or a narrow band of skin at the top of the nose that is covered by the plastic bridge.  People tanning outdoors will either use full sized sunglasses, OR no sunglasses at all (just closing their eyes in the sun).  In this case you won't have any band at all at the top of the nose.

Also, since people for the most part tan naked in salons, there would be no tan lines at all. 

There is also a difference in the evenness of the tan.  In a salon, people tend to try and make sure they have an even and you are completely surrounded by lights from all directions.  Outdoors you will probably not be well tanned under the arms, and your tan would not be as even.

Finally, if you are using the older lie-down tanning beds you may have banding patterns on your skins- sort of burned lines like you would see on a barbecued hotdog.

Hope this helps!

(This is just for curiosity, now, because I don't think I'll really write the story that was going to use it. It didn't seem to work, for too many reasons.)
A suspect contends that at the time of the crime he was on the beach in, say, the Bahamas and has a winter's tan to "prove it." Can the sharp eye of a suitably well-informed or well-trained PI tell a beach tan from a tanning bed tan? How about a chemical tan? Could a doctor tell? (Without getting the suspect stark naked.)

B L McAllister

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 04:34:25 PM »

Nice suggestions, Picaroon. Maybe somebody can write a story based on the details you mention. I may even see if I can think of a plot -- not the already discarded idea, but something.
Byron Leon McAllister.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

* Calendar
March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 45 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal