Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read this important notice about the November 2018 outage.

collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 94
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Poll

If you knew you'd never have another book published -- would you keep writing anyway?

Yes
No
Maybe so

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Would you keep writing?  (Read 10994 times)

Kathy Wendorff

• Ink-Stained Wretch
Would you keep writing?
« on: July 22, 2007, 08:09:36 AM »

Aha! A chance to try out this poll thingie...

If you knew you'd never have another book published -- wold you keep writing anyway? (you should be able to see the vote results only after you've voted -- but you should be able to change your vote any time you want.)

Kathy W.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 08:24:56 AM by Kathy Wendorff »

Bob Mueller

• Administrator
  • Ink-Stained Wretch
  • Benevolent Admin
    • More about me
Re: Would you keep writing?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 01:06:11 PM »

Great question.

I voted yes, because it's not (necessarily) about being published, it's about telling the story.

--
Bob

Sometimes it takes therapy to put the past behind you. Other times, it takes a 20 gallon trash bag and a couple of cinder blocks.

Dave Freas

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 06:22:02 PM »

Yes here, too.

I would continue to write because (1) I enjoy it, (2) I get very edgy and ansty on days I don't write, and (3) writing has connected me with some truly wonderful friends I would not have otherwise.

I would like to be published, but if it doesn't happen my world will not come to an end.  I will still have my health and my family (all the success in the world can't beat that!), my friends (writing and non-writing), and my profession.

Dave

Peg H

• Ink Slinger
    • Doggoned Mysteries
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 01:06:36 AM »

Absotively posilutely yes!  For me, writing is a passion.

Peg H
If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you haven’t tried before.

Ingrid

• Wordsmith
    • The Official IJ Parker site
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 09:36:51 AM »

Oh, yes.

stevent

• Expositor
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 04:34:37 PM »

I put down maybe because I might write short stories and such, but not full length novels. Generally, I write to communicate with others. If you're saying that avenue would be closed, then I certainly wouldn't put myself through the grueling process of spending hundreds of hours a year trying to create a book length story. Short stories are easier and satisfying.

JIM DOHERTY

• Wordsmith
    • http://www.deadlyserious.com/JimDoherty
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 04:55:40 PM »

Like Steven, I regard myself as a storyteller, and a storyteller's no good without people to tell his story to.

For that reason, I put down "no."  However, I realized, after reading Steven's post, that the question only referred to books.  Since I write short stories, I would probably change my answer to "yes" or "maybe," if I had the option.

Kathy Wendorff

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007, 08:13:09 AM »

Hmm, I thought I set this up so you could change your vote, but Jim's right, it doesn't seem to give you that option, and I can't sem to edit the poll to fix that. Oh well.

I'm still not sure what I'd so, myself. I really want my stories to be read -- if they never get published, it'll feel like they never really "lived".  And writing takes all my limited "me" time right now, which means there are a lot of other meaningful enjoyable activities I haven't done for years.

But, like Dave, I get cranky when I can't write, and last year, when life interfered and I didn't type a word, I still kept running plots and scenes in my head. I might not have the option of quitting.

I think Elena's comparison to other creative endeavors (in the other thread) is eye-opening -- especially when I told my DH about it, and his reaction was, "Of course writing is different, because there's no reason to write unless people are going to read it." I don't know if I ever got him to see the point. But really, would anyone ever ask, "If you knew nobody would ever pay you, would you still play piano? Would you still paint?"

Kathy W.

Elena

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007, 12:34:59 PM »

I've noticed the use of "paid" and "read" as synonyms.  They really aren't.  I've written all sorts of stories for individuals, or groups which were read and applauded enough to give me a glow, but because of their narrow focus/audience I had no expectation of pay.  I also have written for pay for the last forty odd years.

Currently, to continue the analogy of other creative endeavors, I am fulfilling a dream I've had since I was four; to learn to play the piano.  I  not only do not expect to ever be paid for so doing, I have absolutely no interest in playing for anyone other than my teacher.  This is just for me.

And, I am still painting and still enjoying even though I've stopped painting to sell. 

There is no right or wrong, doing something creative with the end result of payment is just different than doing the same thing for the fun of it. 

I loved the twelve years I spent free lance writing, it was exhilarating.  I now love writing the mystery that at most (but probably not) will be read by a few friends.  They are very different activities which feed very different parts of me.

The thing that bothers me so much is holding payment up as the only validation of writing.

Elena
ps Kathy, the book showed up at the library today, thank you   :D
"Head for the round house Maude, they can't corner us there!"

JIM DOHERTY

• Wordsmith
    • http://www.deadlyserious.com/JimDoherty
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007, 02:12:49 PM »

Elena,

Re your comment below:

I've noticed the use of "paid" and "read" as synonyms.  They really aren't. 

True, but being published in a venue or medium that pays does significantly increase the odds of your having been read.

Moreover, being paid is what separates the professional from the amateur.  And really, all that separates the professional from the amateur. 

If we want to be professionals, and I think most of us do, it follows that we must want to be paid.  Not necessarily enough to make a fortune, or even a living, though that would certainly be welcome if it happened, but enough to point to professional credits.

Of course, if you were to say that "professional" and "good" aren't synonyms, I'd have to agree.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 05:40:11 PM by JIM DOHERTY »

Ingrid

• Wordsmith
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2007, 05:20:56 PM »

Jim raises another issue.  I will not allow publication without being paid the going rate.  But that doesn't mean I'll stop writing if I don't sell every year. The issue is unreal in any case. There is always a chance that something may be published some day. The question should be: are you willing to be patient for years and spend those years trying to get better?  You might also ask: to what length will you go to get published at all costs?

stevent

• Expositor
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2007, 04:41:58 PM »

Ingrid's question about what lengths you'd go to is interesting. I find that I'm no longer willing to go to the post office to mail out a story to a market that does pay except in glory. I'll email a story to this market, but paying the postage when I know I won't recoup that small loss is no longer appealing to me. Strange, I think. I mean, the cost is minimal and it's not like I sit there calculating. I just rummage around for places that accept stories via email. Not sure when I got so lazy.

Ingrid

• Wordsmith
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2007, 05:05:23 PM »

If you get a ton of advertising out of this, fine.  My problem is that these days any number of people try to build publishing careers with the free writing of others. That's totally unfair.

Kathy Wendorff

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2007, 08:13:34 AM »

ps Kathy, the book showed up at the library today, thank you   :D

Oh, good! I hope you like it as much as I did.

Kathy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

* Calendar
March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 48 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal