Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New Profile Fields Available. More info here.

collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 48
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: November 28, 2017, 03:44:05 PM 
Started by Dave Freas - Last post by Dave Freas
Thanks, Bob.

I was initially thinking along the lines of a specific tree - like a red maple - at each 'unbugged' clearing.  But since this is old growth forest, that might not work since the clearings were there before the bugging.

The employee has a map but he gets taken out before he can give it to my MC.  I suppose I could have another employee pass it to him, but I'd rather have him forced to rely solely on some visual clue.

on: November 28, 2017, 11:55:41 AM 
Started by Dave Freas - Last post by Bob Mueller
The first thing that comes to my mind would be a particular rock formation, where he piles rocks in a certain shape.

I can think of a few ways to blaze a trail from my Boy Scout days, but most of those wouldn't last long. I'm thinking of scraping bark or bending branches a certain way. Scrapes would look very natural during the deer rut, but not so much in late spring, and an outdoorsy type might notice it. "Man, that's like the third tree I've seen today with a deer scrape."

Maybe instead of the rock formation, he puts the rocks in the crook of a tree limb? And he always marks a particular species of tree on the north edge of the clearing.

Then again, there's almost certainly going to be a map made of the equipment installed. Maybe your employee has another map made showing the dead zones. He'd have to make sure the owner's map doesn't show the dead zones though.

on: November 27, 2017, 01:55:04 AM 
Started by Bob Mueller - Last post by Bob Mueller
Welcome to MWF, Cam! Take a moment and introduce yourself. What do you write? Are you published? Who is your favorite author?

Enjoy your stay!

on: November 22, 2017, 08:37:40 PM 
Started by Dave Freas - Last post by Dave Freas
The place is an estate encompassing around 1500 acres.  It is heavily wooded land with widely scattered natural and man-made clearings.  The owner of the land has had it extensively wired for video and audio surveillance.  However, the employee overseeing the installation made sure some of the clearings were not bugged.

I need a way for my MC to identify the 'clean' clearings - information he gets from the man in charge of the installations.  I'm looking for something specific and distinctive but natural for the area (Western PA), so a pine tree that grows only in Arizona is out.

Any suggestions?

Thanks up front.

Dave

on: November 12, 2017, 12:50:19 AM 
Started by Antonio G. - Last post by Antonio G.
My character(s) are killed by drowning into the sea.
Now, I read several different things on what happens to an human body in the sea water and I'm a little confused. May I ask a few questions?
A) classical: the body sinks or floats? I read it sinks initially and then, after due time, it begins to float thanks to internal gases. Is it true? After how much time the body emerges on the surface?
B)given that the victims are wearing their clothes, shoes, etc, is it possibile that the would ne attracted to the botton by the weight of the clothing?
C) decomposition. How it differs decomposition intorno water from decomposition on the surface? Thanks in advance

on: November 08, 2017, 05:34:22 AM 
Started by Antonio G. - Last post by Antonio G.
Hello to everyone.
My victim is an Italian female freelance journalist who has been stabbed in the back and then left in a small lake in France. Her body is found the day after, and the police take her to the morgue of the city of Tours for the autopsy.
My questions are:
-the body shows a mortal wound on the back of the neck, and no other signs of violence. For how long the body would be at the police's disposal, in your opinion? And when she would be ready to be shipped back home to her family?
-Her personal effects will be sent back to her family as well? Every one of them, including clothes?
Thanks you in advance.

on: October 31, 2017, 07:58:18 PM 
Started by Dan from TX - Last post by Dave Freas
What about an XD or SD card like some digital cameras use?  They're smaller that a postage stamp and not much thicker than a business card and could be hidden almost anywhere.  And might be easily overlooked in a search of a drawer for example that's filled with lots of little odds and ends.

My digital camera uses XD cards and I keep them in a plastic gizmo that holds six of them.  They come in several different capacities, too (I have 16 and 64 MB ones and if memory serves there are or were also 32 and 128 MB ones).  And each one can hold tons of pictures - up to several hundred on the larger cards - depending on the camera settings for film speed used.

The crucial clue - a picture of the murder? - could be on it or it could hold something as innocent as a flower blooming or anything in between.

Hope this helps.

on: October 19, 2017, 04:03:19 PM 
Started by rjpetyo - Last post by Dave Freas
1/ The 'pass through' could go between two ribs, punch a hole in the heart and exit between two ribs.
The 'stay in' could hit the collar bone, deflect, and lodge against the back of the shoulder blade.

2/ The kill shot could enter below the ribcage, tear through the liver, aorta (the actual cause of death), and kidney and exit out the back.
The 'stay for a visit' round could enter just below the sternum (breast bone), nick the liver, pancreas, and a kidney and lodge against the spine.

One thing to take into account is the weapon used.  If the gun's a .45, chances are it's going through him no matter where it hits.  A weaker round like a .38 or smaller would have a better chance of not punching through the body.

Hope this helps.

Dave

on: October 19, 2017, 03:24:51 PM 
Started by rjpetyo - Last post by rjpetyo
A victim is shot at close range. One bullet remains in the body, the other goes clear through. The one that passes through caused the death. The one that remains is just a wound. Any ideas on where each bullet should hit the victim to get these results?

Appreciate any suggestions out there.

Bob

on: October 17, 2017, 10:35:20 AM 
Started by Dan from TX - Last post by Dan from TX
Thanks! All good fuel for thought. I've just got to make myself narrow down the available options.

P.S. - My family and I came out fine in the hurricane, although we live within a quarter mile of being in real trouble. Feeling very fortunate.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

* Calendar
December 2017
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 19 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal