Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New Profile Fields Available. More info here.

collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 58
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: October 19, 2017, 04:03:19 PM 
Started by rjpetyo - Last post by Dave Freas
1/ The 'pass through' could go between two ribs, punch a hole in the heart and exit between two ribs.
The 'stay in' could hit the collar bone, deflect, and lodge against the back of the shoulder blade.

2/ The kill shot could enter below the ribcage, tear through the liver, aorta (the actual cause of death), and kidney and exit out the back.
The 'stay for a visit' round could enter just below the sternum (breast bone), nick the liver, pancreas, and a kidney and lodge against the spine.

One thing to take into account is the weapon used.  If the gun's a .45, chances are it's going through him no matter where it hits.  A weaker round like a .38 or smaller would have a better chance of not punching through the body.

Hope this helps.

Dave

on: October 19, 2017, 03:24:51 PM 
Started by rjpetyo - Last post by rjpetyo
A victim is shot at close range. One bullet remains in the body, the other goes clear through. The one that passes through caused the death. The one that remains is just a wound. Any ideas on where each bullet should hit the victim to get these results?

Appreciate any suggestions out there.

Bob

on: October 17, 2017, 10:35:20 AM 
Started by Dan from TX - Last post by Dan from TX
Thanks! All good fuel for thought. I've just got to make myself narrow down the available options.

P.S. - My family and I came out fine in the hurricane, although we live within a quarter mile of being in real trouble. Feeling very fortunate.

on: October 11, 2017, 03:44:24 PM 
Started by Bob Mueller - Last post by linda
Welcome Dan!  I hope you'll enjoy the site as much as I always have.  There's some really great, and helpful, people on this site.  It seems like you can get almost any question that you have answered here.

Linda

on: October 07, 2017, 09:14:20 AM 
Started by Dan from TX - Last post by Old Bill
Hi Dan and Welcome. Honestly, I had to Google "Scandal..." and MacGuffin [gotta love Ole Hitchcock (I've forgotten more than I ever knew)] but I'm willing to give it a try.

Why keep incriminating evidence? Value or implied value (Maltese Falcon) either monetary or sentimental; thumbdrive/microdot; weapon/instrument that everyone knows you have/use; extortion material still having relevance. Pretty obvious stuff but you've probably already thought of these.

Where to hide in a house...I can think of a gazillion places depending on the size and probably in plain sight. Once was part of a team sent to search a suspect's house...by the time we were through, it looked like it was hit by a tornado (a slight exaggeration...forgive me).

Good luck and looking forward to more from your WIP.

Old Bill

PS: Hope you survived Harvey unscathed.

on: October 06, 2017, 11:00:34 AM 
Started by Bob Mueller - Last post by Dan from TX
Hi Bob, and thanks!

I'm Dan Fields from Houston, TX. I've recently published horror stories in Sanitarium and Grotesque Quarterly magazines. Currently working on two novels, one solo and one collaborative. Mystery writing is new ground for me, and I'm hoping the members and resources here can give me the right boost of confidence to give it a proper go.

Favorite authors: Harlan Ellisonģ, Joe Lansdale, Tana French, Sarah Waters, Stephen King, Alex Marwood, Arthur Conan Doyle

Looking forward to some robust discussions.

on: October 06, 2017, 10:52:18 AM 
Started by Dan from TX - Last post by Dan from TX
Good day all.

Iím a new forum member and dipping my first toe into mystery writing proper. I like the general tone of the discussions Iíve read here and thought this community might help me. A while ago I wrote a story involving a police detective, even though the story itself wasnít strictly what Iíd call a mystery. Anyway, Iíd like to bring the character back for a more traditional locked-room premise.

The problem: Iím stuck brainstorming for a MacGuffin that will work for me. Thereís a crucial piece of evidence my detective needs to find. Itís hidden in a suspectís house, and some trickery will be required in exposing it. (If that sounds a little page-one ďScandal in Bohemia,Ē wellÖ Iím just getting started in the genre. If this story works I pledge to try something more sophisticated.)

Does anyone have suggestions for an item that

1)   Is compact enough to be hidden out of sight without much trouble
2)   Must be kept by the criminal, at least temporarily. In other words despite its incriminating nature, it cannot simply be discarded or destroyed immediately after the crime (letís say murder, but Iím open to other options).

These are the ideal criteria for the story mechanics Iíve got in mind, but Iíve just been stuck awhile on this point. I hope Iíve got the right thread / am using this forum properly. All thoughts, practical and outlandish, will be gratefully entertained. Thanks!

on: October 05, 2017, 09:59:49 AM 
Started by Bob Mueller - Last post by Bob Mueller
Welcome to MWF, dlfTX! Take a moment and introduce yourself. What do you write? Are you published? Who is your favorite author?

Enjoy your stay!

on: October 03, 2017, 01:01:44 PM 
Started by Bob Mueller - Last post by Bob Mueller
Welcome to MWF, juliefas! Take a moment and introduce yourself. What do you write? Are you published? Who is your favorite author?

Enjoy your stay!

on: September 28, 2017, 05:11:36 AM 
Started by Whisperingwind - Last post by tracy18
This is good...very helpful in clearly defining characters and their behaviors. I would keep these questions in mind and would note it down in flashcards while writing new characters.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

* Calendar
October 2017
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 [21]
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 19 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal