Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read this important notice about the November 2018 outage.

collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 102
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: how can one make Safari print selected stuff  (Read 5030 times)

B L McAllister

• Ink-Stained Wretch
how can one make Safari print selected stuff
« on: December 19, 2008, 06:41:16 PM »

For various reasons, using my laptop PC with Windows XP, I've ended up with four web browsers, Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera, and Safari.  In many respects I like Safari best, but the other three will all let me select material on a web page (one that hasn't had "don't print" stuck into it somehow--I don't understand all that stuff, but it doesn't relate to the question I'm asking).  Safari, however, has the Print Selection option blanked out, and although Mac users have exchanged ideas on the web and, presumably have solved the problem--but only using methods peculiar to Macs, I  haven't been able to find a discussion by people like me who use "the wrong sort of computer in the first place."  It's hard to believe that Apple would make a Safari for Windows, offer it as a free download, and not equip it with the same capabilities their own crowd get to use, but I'm beginning to think that's exactly what they've done.  Or is there another Safari-for-Windows user visiting here occasionally who has had the same problem, who has found a solution, and who is willing to share the secret?
Byron
Byron Leon McAllister.
Books by Byron and Kay McAllister can most easily be obtained as e-books or in print from the publisher at http://www.writewordsinc.com/ For "Undercover Nudist," the print version is an improved version of the ebook version. The others are the same in both formats.

Elena

• Ink-Stained Wretch
Re: how can one make Safari print selected stuff
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 05:34:08 AM »

Byron,
I use an iMac and Safari, and can only confirm what you said. Safari has no built in print screen (or part thereof) option. The old key isn't even on the keyboard. But, recently I was asked by Petfinder to send them a screen and after a while their IT guy there found a multikey method of sending him a screen shot. Only I could never get it to work. Apparently it is a fix from prior to their using the Intel chip. And, now that they are using the Intel chip there is apparently no obvious way of doing a print screen. I checked my two books and one says it can't be done and the other says it can but doesn't say how. If you have information on how I can do it, I'd be delighted to know.

And, now I think I deserve an "ATTAGIRL"  for not adding a single teeny little bit of editorial comment that some of the above statements so richly deserve  :D
"Head for the round house Maude, they can't corner us there!"

B L McAllister

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 01:18:51 PM »

Byron,
I use an iMac and Safari, and can only confirm what you said. Safari has no built in print screen (or part thereof) option.. If you have information on how I can do it, I'd be delighted to know.
Well, when I googled (or more likely Yahooed) "safari print screen" (possibly without the quotes), some references to user discussions about the problem showed up, but I only pursued them far enough to see that they wouldn't work for my Safari, usually because I couldn't understand them, that being due to my use of Windows and non-use of a Mac.  But there were some suggestions that might make sense to you.

And, now I think I deserve an "ATTAGIRL"  for not adding a single teeny little bit of editorial comment that some of the above statements so richly deserve  :D
ATTAGIRL!
Byron
Byron Leon McAllister.
Books by Byron and Kay McAllister can most easily be obtained as e-books or in print from the publisher at http://www.writewordsinc.com/ For "Undercover Nudist," the print version is an improved version of the ebook version. The others are the same in both formats.

Elena

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 12:10:02 PM »

Thank you Byron,

She said modestly, bowing in all directions  ;D

I just found it.

Try command-shift-4  If your ibeam turns into a circle with a plus sign in it, you've got it. Run the circle over the section you want to save and it will automatically go to your desktop when you release it. You can then use Preview to change it to a jpeg, or whatever.

If you want your entire screen then it's command-shift-3

This works on my iMac. I sure hope it works for you. Everything else I saw was for software developers and required the ability to speak current iMac. I only speak pre-quantum physics computer. That makes me pretty old.
"Head for the round house Maude, they can't corner us there!"

B L McAllister

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 09:52:02 PM »

I reckon I may try that again when I get a computer with a "command" key.  My Windows-using PC doesn't know about such things, and the possible substitutes like the function key, the function keys, the windows key, etc. just ignore the subsequent 4, except that one such attempt did some interesting erasing and delivered the dollar sign associated with the 4.  Thanks for looking, and I  hope some Mac users here can use the information from time to time.  I've decided to go back to using Opera as default browser, however, despite the other advantages of Safari.

Respectfully and gratefully (though still unable to print select when using Safari),
Byron
Byron Leon McAllister.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

* Calendar
March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 46 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal