Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

MWF is on Twitter. Follow @MystryWrtrs for forum tweets. See who we're following.

collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 71
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Double (but unrelated) trouble  (Read 3701 times)

B L McAllister

• Ink-Stained Wretch
Double (but unrelated) trouble
« on: January 25, 2007, 12:31:17 PM »

My spouse's computer endured a hard drive crash.  The gurus who put in a new one were able to save most of the files, but not all of them, and we're not quite sure which of the system files, if any, are missing.  (Heck, it's possible that we couldn't adjust a system file anyway.) Most of the problems have been easy to solve, but here's one we can't seem to touch: her CDRW drive saves files to CDRW disks, all right, but it labels them all "read only," with all that that implies.  We've tried the obvious cure: right click the file, look at properties, and uncheck "read only," but then it tells us to go to the devil, i.e. that access is denied.  It doesn't say by whom nor why, just "access denied."  The aforementioned gurus say the problem must be that the disks are "finalized," but if so the process of writing to them finalizes them, since we didn't do such a thing.  The result is that her CDRW disks are slightly less useful than plain old CDR disks would be--and life just ain't supposed to be like that. Any ideas? ???
Now, I mentioned double trouble, but this one is not even a problem with her computer, so it's not related.  It's a matter of my printer and its formerly happy relationship with my e-mail program, Eudora (and yes, it's the latest Eudora). There must have been a falling out, because the printer seems to want to choose its own type size, and its choice, when it gets like that, is always way too small to read without a magnifying glass.  Some wag may say, "well, use a magnifying glass," but again life just ain't supposed to be like that.  Any ideas?

« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 12:32:51 PM by Byron Leon McAllister »
Byron Leon McAllister.
Books by Byron and Kay McAllister can most easily be obtained as e-books or in print from the publisher at http://www.writewordsinc.com/ For "Undercover Nudist," the print version is an improved version of the ebook version. The others are the same in both formats.

Michele Viney

• Hack
Re: Double (but unrelated) trouble
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 04:19:36 AM »

Byron

I don't know if this is any good: but can you open the file - as read only - then "Save As" you should then have a copy of your file you can modify and delete the "Read Only" one. Painstaking and tedious I know, but it might be worth a try?

Sorry I don't know about your printer, any time mine misbehaves I threaten it that I'll throw it out the window - it usually starts cooperating at that point!

Hope the first solution works

Michele
All fun and games until someone loses an eye - Christopher Brookmyre

Bob Mueller

• Administrator
  • Ink-Stained Wretch
  • Benevolent Admin
    • More about me
Re: Double (but unrelated) trouble
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 10:06:57 AM »

If you got a new hard drive, they should have completely re-installed the operating system, instead of trying to copy it over. Yeah, you would have had to re-install a bunch of software, but that would be better than "Hey, this used to work, and now it doesn't."

My suggestion at this point is to first scan and clean your registry. Use something like CCleaner. That one comes recommended to me by several people. That will help celan up any dangling DLL files, etc from your system files.

Next, uninstall your CD burner software, and reinstall. I have a hunch those two steps will fix that issue.

The registry clean might help your printing issue as well, but it might not, either. Given the future of Eudora, you might consider moving over to Thunderbird now, as opposed to later.

Good luck!

--
Bob

Sometimes it takes therapy to put the past behind you. Other times, it takes a 20 gallon trash bag and a couple of cinder blocks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

* Calendar
April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 43 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal