Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New Profile Fields Available. More info here.

collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 179
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: electronic waste?  (Read 9373 times)

B L McAllister

• Ink-Stained Wretch
electronic waste?
« on: May 02, 2015, 10:30:10 PM »

With Microsoft in the process of discarding XP, the question arises: can a PC computer that has been running XP be persuaded to run Linux (in one of its many variants), or are those computers now "electronic waste?" If so, how does one install it?
Byron Leon McAllister.
Books by Byron and Kay McAllister can most easily be obtained as e-books or in print from the publisher at http://www.writewordsinc.com/ For "Undercover Nudist," the print version is an improved version of the ebook version. The others are the same in both formats.

Bob Mueller

• Administrator
  • Ink-Stained Wretch
  • Benevolent Admin
    • More about me
Re: electronic waste?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 05:12:57 PM »

Anything that was running XP should be able to run several flavors of Linux.

You'll need to decide what flavor/brand you want. Then you'll download the .ISO file to your computer, burn it to a CD or DVD, then install from that. The installer will take care of formatting the hard drive for you, so be certain you have all your files backed up.

Most installers these days are pretty easy to work with.

I'd probably suggest Mint, as it's a fairly lightweight version of Linux, well-maintained, and I've heard good things about it.

Check this Google search and go from there. https://www.google.com/search?q=replace+XP+with+linux&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
--
Bob

Sometimes it takes therapy to put the past behind you. Other times, it takes a 20 gallon trash bag and a couple of cinder blocks.

B L McAllister

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 05:06:35 PM »

Thanks for the advice, Bob. I haven't succeeded in following the further advice it leads to, yet, but I'm still trying.
Byron Leon McAllister.
Books by Byron and Kay McAllister can most easily be obtained as e-books or in print from the publisher at http://www.writewordsinc.com/ For "Undercover Nudist," the print version is an improved version of the ebook version. The others are the same in both formats.

B L McAllister

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 10:00:07 PM »

Bob: Linux Mint Cinnamon Rebecca is now installed and running. It took me a while to figure out how to shut it down, but there's a way and I found it. Also, the computer runs fine for a while, then turns itself off. I don't think that's attributable to Linux, however; it's probably a device by Compaq (now part of HP) meant to prevent overheating. Compaq had a hot battery problem at one time, but this is not supposed to be one of the suspect machines. However, it's ten years old, which may have given it the poetic equivalent of rust.  I think Linux may be the first software I ever installed that is (nearly) trouble-free from the moment of installation. Thanks again. (Next step: the proverbial learning curve.)
Byron Leon McAllister.

Bob Mueller

• Administrator
  • Ink-Stained Wretch
  • Benevolent Admin
    • More about me
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 05:58:50 PM »

Glad to hear it's working for you.
--
Bob

Sometimes it takes therapy to put the past behind you. Other times, it takes a 20 gallon trash bag and a couple of cinder blocks.

B L McAllister

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 01:43:56 PM »

The Linux is meant to reininigorate my 10 year old Compaq computer, which suddenly one day refused to touch anything by Microsoft. That company's trouble-shooters--if any--were not reachable, and I ended up with a new ASUS, which runs the Microrsoft crap just fine, and is faster than the Compaq, but the change to Linux for the older computer is very satisfying for several reasons. Thanks again for the recommendation.
Byron Leon McAllister.

B L McAllister

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 09:27:49 PM »

The Linux is meant to reininigorate my 10 year old Compaq computer, which suddenly one day refused to touch anything by Microsoft except XP itself. That company's trouble-shooters--if any--were not reachable, and I ended up with a new ASUS, which runs the Microrsoft crap just fine, and is faster than the Compaq, but the change to Linux for the older computer is very satisfying for several reasons. Thanks again for the recommendation.
Byron Leon McAllister.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

* Calendar
March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 45 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal