Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read this important notice about the November 2018 outage.

collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 47
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you transfer a recording from a microrecorder to the computer?  (Read 8144 times)

Kathleen Taylor

• Wordsmith
  • Kathi

I have some recordings (voice) made on a little digital mini-recorder. I'd like to burn them to a CD but cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to get the sound onto my computer to save it. The recorder has a jack that can hook into the microphone outlet on the computer, and we can hear what is recorded through the computer speakers. But none of my CD burning programs recognize the device, and I can't figure out how to transfer the files (I have no idea what format they're in) to my desktop to proceed from there. The sound recorder that comes with the computer will record 60 second hunks, but only in .wav files. We have about 20 minutes of conversation that we want transferred intact (not a bunch of little files or tracks), and it needs to be in MP3 or WAV files so it can be burned to a CD.  I'm on a PC, Windows XP.

Anyone know how to do it?

Kathi, confused

AndyA

• Scribbler
    • The Andersons in NZ
Re: How do you transfer a recording from a microrecorder to the computer?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 05:03:46 PM »

Hi Kathi, you should have a 'line in' socket on your computer, this might be the one your speakers go into.This is where you would plug the jack in. you can you can get free downloadable progs like Audacity http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ a Google of 'free audio recording download' will throw up a few. Also a quick visit to this site might help.
http://www.ehow.com/how_9889_computer-transfer-audiotapes.html

Hope this helps a little.

Andy

Michele Viney

• Hack
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 06:25:57 AM »

Kathleen

Andy is right you should have a line-in' socket, on my old Mac it showed a little microphone icon beside the socket. The cable should have two jacks that look the same on each end, you should be able to pick up the cable at most electronic stores. You might also want to check that your micro-recorder has a 'line-out' socket - this might be different from your head phones socket. My mini-disc recorder has separate 'line-out' and headpone sockets.

I'm not completely sure about this but if you are a Mac user you might be able to use the iTunes software that has been coming with Mac computers for the past few years. I seem to remember that when I was copying stuff from one computer to a newer one this was where my audio interviews went to.

Hope this is of some help

Michele
All fun and games until someone loses an eye - Christopher Brookmyre

Kathleen Taylor

• Wordsmith
  • Kathi
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 11:16:54 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions, Andy and Michelle. I'm on a PC, but I should be able to proceed now (I haven't had time to try it yet, but you've given me a starting point.)

Kathi
Pages: [1]   Go Up

* Calendar
April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 45 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal