Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New Profile Fields Available. More info here.

collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 51
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: microsoft stuff mostly has begun to fail  (Read 9055 times)

B L McAllister

• Ink-Stained Wretch
microsoft stuff mostly has begun to fail
« on: December 09, 2010, 09:55:44 PM »

Suddenly, MicroSoft WORD became "inaccessible." It turns out that several Microsoft programs now fail.  I seem to get a clean bill of health from the virus finder (Panda) and I have reason (this is complicated, but yes, reason) to think the failure somehow involves an apparently unavailable MicroSoft program called ".net framework v 1.1.4322." Apparently other versions don't do the trick. Causes and symptoms are none too clear in my mind, but I get an error message when I start my computer saying that an HP program called "hpqthb08.exe" won't run without that particular version of MicroSoft's dot net program.  I have no idea what either one does, but the failure of most MicroSoft stuff currently began when that error report began.  Anybody with enough technical knowledge to even hint at what may be going on here would be doing me quite a favor to reply.
Byron
Byron Leon McAllister.
Books by Byron and Kay McAllister can most easily be obtained as e-books or in print from the publisher at http://www.writewordsinc.com/ For "Undercover Nudist," the print version is an improved version of the ebook version. The others are the same in both formats.

Lance Charnes

• Ink Slinger
    • Wombat Group
Re: microsoft stuff mostly has begun to fail
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 12:45:26 PM »

From file.net (http://www.file.net/process/hpqthb08.exe.html):

"The process HP Image Zone or HP Photosmart Premier belongs to the software hp digital imaging - hp all-in-one series or hpqthb08.exe by Hewlett-Packard Co (www.hp.com) or Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P.

"Description: File hpqthb08.exe is located in a subfolder of "C:\Program Files" (usually C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\). Known file sizes on Windows XP are 73,728 bytes (53% of all occurrence), 53,248 bytes.
The program has a visible window. hpqthb08.exe is not a Windows core file. The process starts upon Windows startup (see Registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders). You can uninstall this program in the control panel. Therefore the technical security rating is 8% dangerous, however also read the users reviews.

"Important: Some malware camouflage themselves as hpqthb08.exe, particularly if they are located in c:\windows or c:\windows\system32 folder."

If you don't have one of the packages mentioned in the first graf, you may have sprouted a virus. If you do, you may want to uninstall your HP software as an experiment and see if the problem goes away. If it does, you probably need updated drivers for your HP device, or updates for your HP software. A legitimate, well-written program shouldn't choke if it doesn't have the exact version of a utility (such as MS .net); it should be able to use any current version of that utility.

.net provides drivers and utilities for Windows' interaction with networks and the Internet.
DOHA 12
On Kindle and Nook
Paperback: Amazon | B&N

Twitter | Facebook

B L McAllister

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 03:53:27 PM »

Thanks, Lance, I'll see if I can work my way through some of that.  So far as I know in advance, neither of the files I mentioned does anything I need done, but the Microsoft one refuses to delete.  My computer, being Compaq, is full of hp stuff, so I doubt if I can really delete all hp files and survive, but your hints may possibly get me there.  Thanks again.  Byron
Byron Leon McAllister.
Books by Byron and Kay McAllister can most easily be obtained as e-books or in print from the publisher at http://www.writewordsinc.com/ For "Undercover Nudist," the print version is an improved version of the ebook version. The others are the same in both formats.

aklianmesser@gmail.com

• Cub
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 11:56:55 PM »

Problems are every where and i think no company is perfect in all aspects. Microsoft is the best company who is providing all the solutions regarding to technology just like it was the first company who introduce the windows 2000 and its next generation in a very appropriate manner.

B L McAllister

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 06:20:01 PM »

Actually, things did, eventually, get fixed. There is no way around the fact that it was Microsoft stuff that messed up, but it's been working okay for me for a few years now, so sure enough, they're not actually a hopeless bunch. And you're right: nobody's prefect. (See, some of us even misspell on the rare occasions when we feel like admitting we're among the somebody's who aren't perfect.) As to alternatives to Microsoft, I'm a little confused trying to figure out who they'd be.
Byron Leon McAllister.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

* Calendar
March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 46 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal