Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

MWF is on Twitter. Follow @MystryWrtrs for forum tweets. See who we're following.

collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 11
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Eudora vs Thunderbird  (Read 7940 times)

dhparker

• Ink-Stained Wretch
    • Donna Parker's Home Page
Eudora vs Thunderbird
« on: February 09, 2007, 10:25:55 AM »

Bob, you mentioned this in another thread.  We've used Eudora for a couple of years (sponsored mode).  Now it's time to upgrade and we're looking around.  Why do you prefer Thunderbird?

Bob Mueller

• Administrator
  • Ink-Stained Wretch
  • Benevolent Admin
    • More about me
Re: Eudora vs Thunderbird
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 04:46:00 PM »

Eudora as we know it is going away. It's becoming Open-source and free, and it'll be based on Thunderbird, as I understand it.

I've downloaded Tbird, and used it on a test basis. I liked it, and one day soon, I'll probably switch to it.

The main thing I like about Tbird is the spam filtering. In Eudora, the good junk filters were only available in the Paid versions, not Sponsored (which I have) or Light. Tbird does as much as, or more, than Outlook Express, and does it better, with a smaller system footprint (less-and better-memory usage).

--
Bob

Sometimes it takes therapy to put the past behind you. Other times, it takes a 20 gallon trash bag and a couple of cinder blocks.

dhparker

• Ink-Stained Wretch
    • Donna Parker's Home Page
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 10:21:20 AM »

Thanks, Bob.  We'll look into it.

B L McAllister

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 03:36:27 PM »

I've ... downloaded Thunderbird and used it on a test basis. I liked it, and one day soon, I'll probably switch to it.

Acting on Bob's hint (and already having the impression that Eudora is committed to degenerating), I've also downloaded Thunderbird.  Amusingly, the first thing my download did was to  suggest that I upgrade, which I soon did.  It's too early for a detailed report, but I can say that I like it--perhaps as well as I like Eudora.  I'd never got used to any other (including Outlook Express), so can't compare. For the moment, however, Eudora remains undeleted from my machine, "just in case."  Byron
Byron Leon McAllister.
Books by Byron and Kay McAllister can most easily be obtained as e-books or in print from the publisher at http://www.writewordsinc.com/ For "Undercover Nudist," the print version is an improved version of the ebook version. The others are the same in both formats.

Caro

• Wordsmith
    • Caro's Place
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007, 11:41:21 PM »

I have always used Eudora, so I hesitate to try something else.  However, the writing is on the wall, so sometime soon I should try Thunderbird.  Oy. The thought of learning another program is daunting.

Caro
Drag Queen in the Court of Death
http://www.carosoles.com

B L McAllister

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2007, 07:13:32 PM »

I have always used Eudora, so I hesitate to try something else.  However, the writing is on the wall, so sometime soon I should try Thunderbird.  Oy. The thought of learning another program is daunting.

Caro
I've long assumed Eudora is "best available."  That may be why its proprietors decided to change it.  Or maybe they simply found a faster-repaying place to put their money? Nobody seems to want to make a living by producing a quality product if there's a slick alternative available.
Byron
Byron Leon McAllister.
Books by Byron and Kay McAllister can most easily be obtained as e-books or in print from the publisher at http://www.writewordsinc.com/ For "Undercover Nudist," the print version is an improved version of the ebook version. The others are the same in both formats.

Bob Mueller

• Administrator
  • Ink-Stained Wretch
  • Benevolent Admin
    • More about me
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 05:50:16 PM »

Eudora is put out by Qualcomm, and they basically decided to get out of that part of the IT world, I think.

--
Bob

Sometimes it takes therapy to put the past behind you. Other times, it takes a 20 gallon trash bag and a couple of cinder blocks.

B L McAllister

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2007, 12:04:30 PM »

Eudora is put out by Qualcomm, and they basically decided to get out of that part of the IT world, I think.

I believe that's correct.  Presumably they bought Eudora in the first place thinking they could make money, found it wasn't coming in fast enough, and rue that first decision.
Byron Leon McAllister.

B L McAllister

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2007, 12:07:08 PM »

Caro
I find handling Thunderbird to be full of surprises, but then I always have a tough time changing  programs.  I hated word when I was first condemned to switch to it from WordPerfect, but then found that WP wasn't as solid as it used to be, and finally made the adjustment.
Byron Leon McAllister.

B L McAllister

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2007, 03:17:37 PM »

One of the problems I have with Thunderbird is that I can't ask it to print just a selected portion of an email.  Sometimes that's what needs to be done, and to insist on printing the whole thing wastes both paper and time.  And ink, too, I reckon.  There may very well be a way to reset it so as to "do as Eudora do," but so far I haven't found it.

Besides that, it's still fairly good.  Oh, one more exception: it gladly imported my Eudora mailboxes (though it put them in a funny place, with some unexplained terminology cluttering up matters) but it declined to import my Eudora address book.  Again there may very well be a way to overcome its reluctance, but again I haven't found it yet.  The ways it seems even better than Eudora are not particularly striking, but I'll try to pay closer attention--maybe make a list, so they become "memorable."
Byron Leon McAllister.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

* Calendar
May 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.297 seconds with 46 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal