Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 40
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where did the images go--and why?  (Read 6487 times)

B L McAllister

• Ink-Stained Wretch
Where did the images go--and why?
« on: September 30, 2007, 01:19:03 PM »

My website isn't yet completed, but it is presentable, thanks to the lady who works on it from time to time.  I can even make minor changes on it myself.  However, nowadays when I visit it, the background images don't show up.  Well, not usually.  When I use Opera as web browser, those images are just fine--just like they used to be.  However, Internet Explorer, Netscape Navigator, and Mozilla Firefox are unanimous in not showing me the images.  On the other hand, when I move to my wife's computer, her Internet Explorer shows them. So it looks like something is amiss in the settings on my computer itself, but I'm doggoned if I can figure out what--especially since one of the browsers works!  Does anybody here know anything about making background images show up on web-browsers? "Show images" is already checked, so it isn't that simple.
 ???
Byron
Byron Leon McAllister.
Books by Byron and Kay McAllister can most easily be obtained as e-books or in print from the publisher at http://www.writewordsinc.com/ For "Undercover Nudist," the print version is an improved version of the ebook version. The others are the same in both formats.

Bob Mueller

• Administrator
  • Ink-Stained Wretch
  • Benevolent Admin
    • More about me
Re: Where did the images go--and why?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 01:57:42 AM »

If you're talking about the Montana Mysteries site, I see the images just fine in Firefox/2.0.0.7. Even using IE Tab.

--
Bob

Sometimes it takes therapy to put the past behind you. Other times, it takes a 20 gallon trash bag and a couple of cinder blocks.

B L McAllister

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 03:47:21 PM »

That's the site, and as far as I know everybody but me sees them--and even I do provided I use Opera and not Netscape nor IE nor Firefox.  All four show the images that aren't background, e.g. the cover photos, but three of 'em omit the two pics occupying temporary space at the top.  Apparently it's a matter of some sort of funny setting in my own computer.  I was sort of hoping it would turn out somebody had seen the problem before, and could enlighten me as to how to join the rest of the world when looking at my own website.  Ah, well, I suppose if everybody else sees them all the time :), it may not matter much whether I do or not ;). Except I do kind of wonder what else I'm missing when I look at other website--for example this one.  ??? ??? ??? ???
Byron
Byron Leon McAllister.
Books by Byron and Kay McAllister can most easily be obtained as e-books or in print from the publisher at http://www.writewordsinc.com/ For "Undercover Nudist," the print version is an improved version of the ebook version. The others are the same in both formats.

Elena

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 01:33:10 PM »

Byron, I'm on Safari 2.0.4 and when I look at your site I see the book dust jackets, and the photos across the top, but nothing else.  Is that what you're talking about?  Also, when you post here - on the left I get the blue question mark indicating an image I'm not able to interpret.   I checked your listing in the member directory and got the same thing.

I know from experience that my version of Safari and the previous one have a problem with some images.  The lastest version which is a whole new animal (I never remember which animal I am or the new one is), is supposed to have fixed that problem.  And, from everything I've heard around it's true.

Probably have just added to your confusion, but eventually with enough confusion hopefully a pattern will emerge.  However, unlike mysteries, with computers it won't matter anymore - the problem will be out of date  :D

Elena
"Head for the round house Maude, they can't corner us there!"

B L McAllister

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 12:01:20 AM »

Not exactly.  The two pictures at the top are at least part of what's missing when I look with anything but Opera.  The book covers show on all four of my web browsers.  There's a great deal more at the site, and I can see all the rest in all four browsers.  Not having created my own website, I can't guarantee that I see everything, else, but I think so.) I'm beginning to think the information super highway is part of our crumbling infrastructure.  (I can't account for the blue question mark at all: it's a new one to me. Maybe somebody else can explain it?) Byron
Byron Leon McAllister.

Elena

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 12:46:48 PM »

The blue question mark comes up when an image is sent in a format that my Safari can't read.  I've traced it down far enough to know that anything sent in a "MIME" format will turn into the blue question mark.  Possibly others.  If I were to get the software that would enable my Mac to also be a PC I could see it from that side, but then why get a Mac?

Not something I'm concerned about. 

Let us know if you trace down what's going on with yours - sounds interesting.

Elena

B L McAllister

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 10:55:21 PM »

I'm tired of looking for a solution to this  problem.  For the moment, I'm simply making Opera my default web browser.  The other three, because they fail with no serious mechanism for inquiring why, can all go to the devil.
Byron
Byron Leon McAllister.

Elena

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 12:02:25 AM »

Good for you Byron!!!

- go have fun, swing in a hammock with a good book, go watch a roller derby - computers can consume way too much time!!!!!!!!

I don't even like telling people that my last gainful employment was as a Professor of Computer Science - there is that dangerous gleam that shows up way too often in the eyeball of the inquisitor!!!!  Fortunately, I have learned to firmly say that my background is in mainframes and I know nothing about quantum physics.  This results in blissful silence.

So, if Opera works for you - then so be it  :D

Elena

B L McAllister

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007, 12:39:38 PM »

It's not so much that Opera works as that the others don't.  I am, of course, fleeing those ills I have to fly to others that I know not of, but maybe by the time any of them surface I'll have an idea what happened to cause the initial malfunction and can correct it.  Meantime it's been fun looking all over the web for a cure: reminds me how very (very!) much I not only don't know but can't understand well enough to learn. (I also don't tell people I was a professor of computer science, but in my case it's because I wasn't.)
Byron
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 12:41:28 PM by Byron Leon McAllister »
Byron Leon McAllister.

Elena

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2007, 12:26:28 AM »

(I also don't tell people I was a professor of computer science, but in my case it's because I wasn't.)

And, isn't it amazing - we both don't know exactly the same thing  ;D

Elena

Susan August

• Ink Slinger
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2007, 05:31:24 PM »

Byron,

At the risk of asking you to try one more thing, Byron, I just wonder if you have a 'pop-up blocker' on.   Sometimes certain images are perceived to be 'pop-ups', even if they are not.

Good luck!

Susan

B L McAllister

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2007, 06:26:02 PM »

At the risk of asking you to try one more thing, Byron, I just wonder if you have a 'pop-up blocker' on. 
Yep, I do have a pop-up blocker on--of course.  Howevever Opera, which should respect the pop-up blocker as much as do the other three, shows the whole website.  No, I'm convinced that at some stage I mistakenly (or even accidentally) mis-set something or other and can't find how to un-mis-set it.  I have a speculation as to what might have happened, at last, based on an experience when, as another user of this same computer I succeeded in seeing the whole website using IE.  My virus-catcher (Panda) asked me to make a meaningless choice, and since I apparently had to make one, I did so.  After that IE failed to see the whole website.  So I think the remedy is between me and Panda, and I've suggested to them that they make clear how to undo one's stupid errors.  There hasn't been time for a response yet.
[/quote]
Byron Leon McAllister.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

* Calendar
March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 45 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal