Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read this important notice about the November 2018 outage.

collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 46
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Writing/Rewriting Addendum  (Read 6466 times)

Bob Mueller

• Administrator
  • Ink-Stained Wretch
  • Benevolent Admin
    • More about me
Writing/Rewriting Addendum
« on: October 18, 2006, 05:39:33 PM »

Date:         Monday, April 26, 1999 04:08 AM

Writing/Rewriting Addendum

There is something else to mention in talking about rewriting that might not be immediately apparent.

I know some on the BB have talked about writing the best damn first draft they can, which implies to me, perhaps, that it is then just about ready to send out. I'm not against anyone writing a brilliant draft that is, indeed, ready to be published, it's just that I think most of us can't do that. And if you are getting a steady stream of rejection, perhaps you can't either.

During the first draft, we might want to get it as best we can, but the driving force should be not to get bogged down. Get the thing finished. Going into the second draft, again we want to make each paragraph and sentence as best we can make it. And the saving grace, as we said before, if we can't get something just right, that's okay because we'll be coming back to look at it again.

On the second draft we will be at greater pains to get it right, but, even so, knowing that we will look at it at least one more time, means that we can go on even though we are not absolutely satisfied. Again we should view another draft as a grace rather then a curse, because it keeps us from getting bogged down. I try to think of it as peeling away outer shells of something--an onion is the only thing that comes to mind--to get to the hard kernel in the center.

The beauty of coming back for another draft is when we come to that section that frustrated us, that we couldn't get right, we'll find our sub-conscience has continued to work on the problem and will offer up new solutions.

So, now, we really are ready to move on to BookMarc #25
--
Bob

Sometimes it takes therapy to put the past behind you. Other times, it takes a 20 gallon trash bag and a couple of cinder blocks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

* Calendar
April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 46 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal