Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New Profile Fields Available. More info here.

collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 93
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pennwriters 2011  (Read 32158 times)

Bob Mueller

• Administrator
  • Ink-Stained Wretch
  • Benevolent Admin
    • More about me
Pennwriters 2011
« on: March 27, 2011, 08:30:33 PM »

Anyone going, besides me?

Seems like a good idea for me. We're traveling, and can make our way up there, so lodging won't be an issue. The workshops look great, too.

Now I just have to overcome my shyness and introduce myself to any agents there.  :o

What of Don't Stop Believin should I have copies of? Synopsis?
--
Bob

Sometimes it takes therapy to put the past behind you. Other times, it takes a 20 gallon trash bag and a couple of cinder blocks.

Dave Freas

• Ink-Stained Wretch
Re: Pennwriters 2011
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 09:39:00 PM »

Yes, Bob, I'll be there.  Look me up.  I'd love to meet you.

And at least one other members of MWF will be there, too.

The best way to connect with an agent is to pick one that seems your best match and request an agent appointment with him or her.  You'll have about 15 minutes one-on-one to pitch Don't Stop Believin'.  Usually, they will ask you to send them so many pages or chapters and a synopsis after the conference.  Do not bring your Ms and hand it to them.  It's considered bad form.

The second best way is to keep your eyes open for them walking around the halls, having a drink in the bar, chatting with someone.  Walk up, introduce yourself, and let the conversation flow from there.

Don't be shy.  Pennwriters is one of the friendliest, most welcoming groups you will ever encounter.  Spend some time in the hospitality suite.  You'll see people sitting at tables talking.  Sit down, say 'Hi, I'm Bob Mueller," and you're in.  If you have a question, buttonhole a Pennwriter, and ask.  They'll give you the answer or point you to someone who can.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Dave Freas

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 05:08:39 PM »

Meant to mention, too, Bob that the hotel (Airport Marriot) has a bloc of rooms reserved for conference attendees at a special rate ($89/night) if you mention PennWriters when you make your reservation.

Looking forward to meeting you there.

Dave

Bob Mueller

• Administrator
  • Ink-Stained Wretch
  • Benevolent Admin
    • More about me
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 08:47:40 PM »

Looking forward to meeting you in person too, Dave. Forgive me for not responding sooner. Internet was out here at the RV park for a while, and I got into a writing rush on the next story.

I think I may end up staying at my son's place while the family finds an RV park with full hookups. The nearest sites we can find are state parks which are fine for a while, but they present some difficulties in pulling this particular conference off.

I'm signed up for the Thursday Many Genres, One Craft pre-conference gig, and I'm mainly following the "Improve Your Craft" track.
--
Bob

Sometimes it takes therapy to put the past behind you. Other times, it takes a 20 gallon trash bag and a couple of cinder blocks.

Dave Freas

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 03:27:05 PM »

Look for the rowdy group by the front door puffing on cancer sticks.  I'll probably be there.

Bob Mueller

• Administrator
  • Ink-Stained Wretch
  • Benevolent Admin
    • More about me
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 06:19:24 PM »

Well, finally recovering from this, and all I can say is "What a conference!"

It was great to meet Dave and Peg Hauser in person, after all these years. And Dave was right: Pennwriters is one of the friendliest groups you'd ever want to be around. Nancy Martin was there with a session, as was Jonathan Maberry, doing critiques, sessions an awesome keynote, all while on deadline for 20,000 words the day after the con ended!

My conference write-ups are here: http://indefixa.ravensbeak.com/tag/pennwriters/

If you're not a member of a writers organization, find and join one!
--
Bob

Old Bill

• Ink Slinger
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 09:39:32 PM »

Glad you had a good time, Bob, and a safe trip to and from your conference.  Appreciate the write-ups, too.

In a former lifetime, I attended a week long professional photographers conference and learned tons from the instructors; but after the classes was when the fun started.  Socializing with fellow professionals, sharing experiences and expertise, networking, making friends, having laughs and all round enjoying the thrill of it all was what made it special.  You just can't get that from a book.

Old Bill

Dave Freas

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 07:06:02 AM »

It was great meeting you, too, Bob, and putting a face with the name.  After we officially met, I realized we had been in several of the earlier presentations.

Glad you enjoyed the conference, too, and that it lived up to my hype.

Anyone, everyone, seriously, the Pennwriters Conference is worth attending.  Next year it will be held at the Eden Resorts in Lancaster, PA, the exact dates to be determined.  Check the Pennwriters website (pennwriters.org) for more details.  If you can make it, please come.

Dave

Dave Freas

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 11:01:34 AM »

And a PS:

The keynote speaker at the 2012 Pennwriters Conference will be Hank Phillippi Ryan, author of 4 novels featuring Charlotte McNally, an investigative TV reporter in Boston, MA.

Dave

Lynette

• Ink-Stained Wretch
    • Lynette Hall Hampton
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 07:23:18 PM »

Sounds like a good conference. I always try to attend two conferences each year. I'll consider Pennwriters for next year.

Lynette

Dave Freas

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 08:03:33 PM »

The dates are May 17 - 20, 2012.  Pencil it in now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

* Calendar
March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 46 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal