Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

MWF is on Twitter. Follow @MystryWrtrs for forum tweets. See who we're following.

collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 17
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting the Axe  (Read 5115 times)

Charles King

• Ink-Stained Wretch
    • The Mysterious Writ
Getting the Axe
« on: December 07, 2006, 03:21:30 PM »

A gruesome question ... Would it be easier to drag a body with a long handled axe firmly embedded in it across the ground or use it as leverage to heave the body out of trunk or car seat? The person doing the dragging can be described as weaker, maybe possessing a child's strength. Thanks in advance!

Charles   8)
A writer must teach himself that the basest of all things is to be afraid.

William Faulkner

Janet Koch

• Expositor
Re: Getting the Axe
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 05:13:14 PM »

I'd say dragging would be easier. If you're out in the open, you can use both arm and leg strength to drag a dead weight (har!). Of course, within the confines of a vehicle, you could probably brace your feet against something to help with the old heave-ho.

Not much help, am I?

Janet, who split a big pile of wood last weekend

Ingrid

• Wordsmith
    • The Official IJ Parker site
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 05:18:51 PM »

Drag, by all means.  By the way, I don't think you could lift the body by the axe handle. Certainly a child couldn't.

Lee Lofland

• Expositor
    • www.leelofland.com
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 07:21:09 PM »

Dragging the body by the ax handle would be the way to go if the person was physically able to do so, but I honestly don't think a kid could do it.

Big, burly hunters sometimes have a difficult time dragging a 100lb deer out of the woods. They are also exhausted when they do make it out. They drag those animals by the horns (if they did it in reverse and pulled them by their hind legs, the antlers would get caught in the brush) which would be similar to pulling a body by an ax handle.
There are no perfect crimes, merely imperfect investigations.

www.leelofland.com

Charles King

• Ink-Stained Wretch
    • The Mysterious Writ
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 12:47:02 AM »

Thanks folks, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't fooling myself, and the deer image is a great one, very helpful.

Charles  8)
A writer must teach himself that the basest of all things is to be afraid.

William Faulkner

Joyce S

• Expositor
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2006, 07:06:28 PM »

Dragging the body by the ax handle would be the way to go if the person was physically able to do so, but I honestly don't think a kid could do it.

Big, burly hunters sometimes have a difficult time dragging a 100lb deer out of the woods. They are also exhausted when they do make it out. They drag those animals by the horns (if they did it in reverse and pulled them by their hind legs, the antlers would get caught in the brush) which would be similar to pulling a body by an ax handle.

You also want to drag the deer by the head so the 'grain' of the hair doesn't create additional drag. You wouldn't think it is much; but just run your hand back and forth along the coat of your dog or cat--the direction of the coat is obvious.

Joyce S

Lee Lofland

• Expositor
    • www.leelofland.com
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2006, 07:17:55 PM »

Gee Joyce, I was kind of using the deer comparison to illustrate how difficult it would be if someone attempted to drag a human, but now that you mention it I've seen a few men where the reverse hair thing could make a difference if someone had to drag them against the grain of their back hair.    ;)

I'm a bit curious to hear the thoughts of others regarding dragging a deer "with the grain of their fur." Before I decided that I could no longer shoot an animal  (that was many, many years ago) I used to be an avid deer hunter. We always pulled the bucks by their antlers and the does by their hind legs. Any other way is just too awkward. The direction of the animal's hair was never a factor. I won't describe what happens when you pull a doe by her front feet, but I can assure you it's not as easy as the other way.

Maybe I could have saved myself a lot of grief and sore muscles by going with the flow. I learn something new every day.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2006, 09:50:48 AM by Lee Lofland »
There are no perfect crimes, merely imperfect investigations.

www.leelofland.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

* Calendar
May 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 43 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal