Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 18
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Carbon Monoxide poisoning and how can I pull it off?  (Read 14675 times)

Rashi2Learn

• Cub
Carbon Monoxide poisoning and how can I pull it off?
« on: July 21, 2019, 11:30:18 AM »

So I'm writing this story where one character has to be murdered from carbon monoxide poisoning in a running car. How can I get it done? Can somebody help me?

Dave Freas

• Ink-Stained Wretch
Re: Carbon Monoxide poisoning and how can I pull it off?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 08:53:54 AM »

For it to work, you need a static environment - in this case, a non-moving car.  No one is going to voluntarily sit in a car and let their killer run a hose from the exhaust pipe to the interior.

So you have to create a situation where the car is immobile and your victim is trapped inside for some reason - such as stuck in a snow drift.  However in almost any such situation, your victim will be able to escape the murder attempt simply by getting out of the car.

You also have to have your bad guy do some prep work to get the CO to the interior - damaging the exhaust pipe by putting holes in it under the interior near naturally occurring holes in the floorboard, etc. or making holes for it to leak in through.

I've been thinking about this since you posted it and the only reasonably feasible way to pull it off is to drug your victim first, place him or her in the car inside a garage, run the hose to the interior, start the car, and get away fast.

Bob Mueller

• Administrator
  • Ink-Stained Wretch
  • Benevolent Admin
    • More about me
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 10:18:22 PM »

You could do it in a moving vehicle, but it'd take set-up by your villain. They'd have to figure out how to pipe the CO from the exhaust into the car before the victim goes off on a long drive. They'd have to cut into the exhaust at some point, then run a line into the car. The advantage to this is that they'd probably become drowsy enough that they'll wreck before they're killed, unless you could figure out how to pipe the exhaust right into the HVAC system so it's hitting them right in the face.
--
Bob

Sometimes it takes therapy to put the past behind you. Other times, it takes a 20 gallon trash bag and a couple of cinder blocks.

Jingleway

• Cub
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2020, 09:27:47 AM »

We understand the great work of your site to make it even better.

Gene15219

• Cub
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2021, 04:14:51 PM »

So I'm writing this story where one character has to be murdered from carbon monoxide poisoning in a running car. How can I get it done? Can somebody help me?

The traditional method was to have the motor vehicle running inside of enclosed space.    This happened to a Nazi officer who came home drunk, passed out in his car.   He survived.    His experience inspired his fellow Nazis to consider using gas vans.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

* Calendar
March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.016 seconds with 42 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal