Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New Profile Fields Available. More info here.

collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 69
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Eyes of the dead  (Read 9071 times)

lannoe

• Cub
Eyes of the dead
« on: October 23, 2012, 05:46:08 PM »

New to the forum and I am going to jump in with a question.

My character has been killed, but he dies with his eyes wide open. How would you describe the eyes?

Lori

Old Bill

• Ink Slinger
Re: Eyes of the dead
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 08:08:22 PM »

Welcome and good question.  Remember that upon death the body's muscles relax so to say the eyes were wide open might make an interesting  visual, but I doubt that it would be accurate.  Now I would never say never but should it happen it would be very unusual.  I have seen lots (way too many) dead bodies and most eyes take on a very droopy look unless they die in their sleep and then they usually stay closed.  Perhaps others here have had different experiences.

That being said, I wrote this in my WIP "Angel with a Gun" in which an unscrupulous insurance agent is killing off some elderly clients for fraudulent life insurance policies he conjures up with his girlfriend as beneficiary:  "She was just sitting there…in her favorite chair.  I know she was grieving…sick, even, but I didn't think she would look like that..."
"Like what?" Angel asked.
"Kind of...startled.  I guess I would have expected her to have a peaceful look.  But her eyes…they had horror in them.  Brother Peter said Mrs. Shipley was a troubled soul since her husband died."

Anyway, good luck with your writing.

Old Bill

Dave Freas

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 08:44:24 PM »

Hi, lannoe, and welcome to MWF.

Shortly after death, the eye would start to cloud over, taking on a milky appearance, as the tissue dries out.

Depending on how soon after death your victim is discovered, the eyes could look normal to being almost completely covered by a white film.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Old Bill

• Ink Slinger
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 10:15:36 PM »

Yes, Dave, thanks for adding that.  Unlike what is portrayed on TV, death (particularly violent death) is not pretty.  It's messy and smelly and lasts a very long time...I strongly encourage you to avoid your own demise.  :P  ooops, sorry, couldn't resist.

Old Bill

Dave Freas

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 10:29:19 PM »

Actually, Old Bill, I've been working on my own death since the day I was born.

Haven't we all?

Dave

lannoe

• Cub
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 09:31:00 AM »

This was for a short assignment, I ended up "... using glazed over with fear..."

I don't worry so much about my own demise as much as I worry about where I end up. Just had to add my two cents on in the conversation.  :)

Thanks for your help gentlemen!

Lori

Old Bill

• Ink Slinger
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 05:14:17 PM »

Just curious...a short assignment for what?  Try thinking how words interact and what action the words impart upon the subject.  For instance: "glazed over" suggests boredom and doesn't even need to be qualified with being bored, but "fear" would not be an emotion I would use with glazed over.  Also fear is the result of an impending action/condition toward a live person.  The eyes are not fearful.

Now, I'm the last person to be giving advice and I'm only trying to be helpful with some positive feedback.  AND, now that I look at what I wrote, I may have to amend my WIP, too.  So, thanks for giving me a chance to look into my own writing...that's what writing is all about.

Old Bill

lannoe

• Cub
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 07:35:54 PM »

Like your comment Bill. The assignment is for a class I am taking at Universalclass.com. It is mystery writing.

Thanks again everyone for your help!

Lori
Pages: [1]   Go Up

* Calendar
April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.012 seconds with 46 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal