Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 173
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Member's Intro to MWF  (Read 5435 times)

MysteryAdmin

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Global Moderator
  • Cub
A Member's Intro to MWF
« on: October 03, 2006, 10:26:38 AM »

MWF is a community- it's not necessary that you use your *real* name (there are regular members using pseudos, and as always with the internet, we all understand that there is no guarantee that anyone is who they seem to be), but it helps enormously if whatever persona you adopt here is consistent and friendly and willing to listen as well as talk.

Think of us as a group of very diverse people who share a common goal, sitting around a table in a local coffee shop, swapping ideas, brainstorming, and just plain yakking. Many of us have been doing just that with these same people for a couple of years now. Quite a few of us have met in person, we're not just posters on a bulletin board forum, we're friends and colleagues. We understand each other's quirks, we realize that on some issues we'll never agree and we're a pretty tolerant group- at least as long as the respect goes both ways.

Be careful when you barge into an already long-running conversation without an introduction, begin to lecture us on a subject (art vs money) that not only have we discussed in detail many times already, but whose general consensus matches yours exactly. Most of us believe strongly in writing what is in our hearts, regardless of market forces.

The usual procedure here is for new members to introduce themselves, and to blend into the conversations from there.

So, howzabout letting us know a little about you? You don't have to give specifics if you're worried about maintaining anonymity (frankly, a strange position given the very public nature of being published), but we're interested in the writer as much as the writing- what sensibility do you bring to your work? Have you always known that you wanted to write? Are mysteries your main focus? Who do you admire? Are you aiming for an adult or a YA market?

And since communication goes both ways- I'm Kathi (byline Kathleen Taylor). I'm 47, long married, have 2 grown sons (28 and 26), no college, I live in South Dakota. I've been a published writer for 20 years (14 of them doing magazine freelance work). My Tory Bauer mystery series has had 4 books published, the 5th will be out in October and I am feverishly trying to finish the 6th in order to meet a looming deadline. As I expect you've already noticed, my tolerance for anonymous postings is nil, and I tend toward the curmudgeonly. But I take writing and writers seriously.

Your turn.

Kathi

[P.S. from the Administrator: Thanks, Kathi! For others introducing themselves, see the Member Intro sticky thread in Chat.]
--
Bob Mueller

Kathleen Taylor

• Wordsmith
  • Kathi
Re: A Member's Intro to MWF
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 06:25:31 AM »

Heh. I was reading the above, and thinking it sort of sounded familiar but I couldn't place it...

Kathi
Pages: [1]   Go Up

* Calendar
March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 42 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal