Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 231
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Watch This Space!  (Read 10713 times)

Bob Mueller

• Administrator
  • Ink-Stained Wretch
  • Benevolent Admin
    • More about me
Watch This Space!
« on: April 13, 2010, 12:55:56 AM »

Basically just a warning that I'm going to be tinkering over the next week or so. The main thing I'm going to be doing is installing a portal system, which is basically going to be a wrapper of sorts around the forum front page. It'll have a lot more information than what's currently showing at http://mwf.ravensbeak.com/index.html.

For those interested in such things, I'm going to be installing TinyPortal. There are about 5 portal systems out there right now for SMF, and TinyPortal looks to be the easiest for me.

The other thing big thing you'll start seeing will be more ads. I promise that I'm going to keep them as unobtrusive as I can, but with the traffic we get here, I'd be foolish not to put a few more ads in the forum area. But I'm not going to go overboard with them, I promise. I've seen forums where ads are presented between every post in a thread, and that's just silly, I think.

At any rate, if you come in and things are drastically different one day, Don't Panic!  8)
--
Bob

Sometimes it takes therapy to put the past behind you. Other times, it takes a 20 gallon trash bag and a couple of cinder blocks.

Bob Mueller

• Administrator
  • Ink-Stained Wretch
  • Benevolent Admin
    • More about me
Re: Watch This Space!
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 06:05:38 PM »

Taking the forum down in about 10 minutes to get TinyPortal installed.
--
Bob

Sometimes it takes therapy to put the past behind you. Other times, it takes a 20 gallon trash bag and a couple of cinder blocks.

Bob Mueller

• Administrator
  • Ink-Stained Wretch
  • Benevolent Admin
    • More about me
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 10:34:30 PM »

Sorry for the extended downtime. Had a couple of hiccups, but all seems to be right with the world now.

If you notice that anything is broken, please let me know.

I'll be shuffling the panels that you see around a bit, and adding a couple of new ones, too, I hope. We'll see how it goes.
--
Bob

B L McAllister

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 03:47:47 PM »

My impression, logging on after a couple of days absence, was, "What in the world is this mess."  Maybe I'll get used to it. (I hope so.)
Byron
Byron Leon McAllister.
Books by Byron and Kay McAllister can most easily be obtained as e-books or in print from the publisher at http://www.writewordsinc.com/ For "Undercover Nudist," the print version is an improved version of the ebook version. The others are the same in both formats.

Bob Mueller

• Administrator
  • Ink-Stained Wretch
  • Benevolent Admin
    • More about me
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 11:26:57 PM »

If you find that the panels make things too "busy," each one can be minimized; click the "-" in the upper right corner of each panel.

I'm also tweaking the ad settings still. One of the options is an occasional "full-page" ad that will say something like "MWF is brought to you today by..." There's a "Skip This Ad" button on the top of each of those. I'm still up in the air about those. I'll probably leave things where they are for a week or so, then run a poll.
--
Bob

Elena

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 11:15:41 PM »

The problem with the minimize buttons is that they only work for the screen you're looking at. Then as soon as you do something, like right now I hit reply to write you, the panels not only come back, but the message area overlaps the right hand panel. Makes it hard to see the last word or two that I've entered.

I do have to admire your ability to make major changes without the entire thing crashing for an indefinite length of time. You are one with your program  :D

Elena
"Head for the round house Maude, they can't corner us there!"
Pages: [1]   Go Up

* Calendar
March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 46 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal