Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read this important notice about the November 2018 outage.

collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 18
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mystery-Romance  (Read 16059 times)

Brenda B.

• Wordsmith
Re: Mystery-Romance
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2008, 05:13:35 PM »

Sorry to post and hide. Life interfered. (see Chat)
I haven't done any research beyond reading lots of romantic suspense (that's generally the genre written on the spine of the paperback). But I think Kathy pretty well nailed it, thank you Kathy.  I especially like the phrase "gut emotion over intellectual puzzle." 
Purchase the Alex Masters Mystery series consisting of: Dead Birds Don't Sing, JailBird, A Bird By Any Other Name, and SwanSong at writewordsinc.com or amazon.com
"Dead Birds..." and "Jailbird" are now available in print!

JacquelineSeewald

• Cub
Romantic Mystery Novels: Mystery or Romance?
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2010, 07:56:09 AM »

I'm coming back here to an older topic on the forum which I find troubling. I believe that romantic mysteries are mystery novels with an element of romance whether sexual or non-sexual. The key here is that the mystery is the dominant plot factor. In my two Five Star novels, THE INFERNO COLLECTION and THE DROWNING POOL, the novels were placed under the "romantic suspense" label, much to their detriment.
They are both mystery novels but with romantic elements which help to define character.  I think this is a problem many writers who cross genres face.

Kelly K.

• Cub
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2010, 06:17:05 PM »

Interesting that this thread is still going  :) I remember thinking I'd asked a stupid question.

I haven't touched mine since a couple of summers ago, but this has me thinking about going back to it.  I kind of liked my story -- or stories, the mystery and the romance -- I'd like to see if I can do something with it.

The romance part is boy-meets-girl, girl-and-boy-mistrust-but-are-attracted-to-each-other, circumstances-help-bring-them-together.  I think that pretty well follows the romance formula.

I'm not sure whether the mystery part falls too much in the suspense category, but there is definitely a who-dunit thread running through (as well as a what-did-they-do element).  We'll see how that goes.  I'm also trying to learn to trust my instincts and just write what comes out a little more than I tend to do. 

I guess I don't have a question right now, just needed to think it through with an audience who understands. 

daringnovelist

• Cub
    • The Daring Novelist
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2010, 01:48:04 PM »

Glad to see this thread still alive. 

My current W.I.P. is a cozy mystery/comic suspense.  There is a very strong romantic element, but it really doesn't follow romance tropes.  The heroine is a committed spinster - she really likes being single, and would definitely not do well living with anyone else ever.  But there is a strong attraction with the hero - who is something of a soul mate, and who has girl troubles of his own.

My biggest problem is that I keep running up against standard romance tropes.  I have to worry about raising expectations that don't reflect where the story is going (not exactly anyway).  But I think I've got a handle on it, in that I need to pull those expectations out in the open as soon as they might come up, and do something with them. 

Camille
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

* Calendar
April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.015 seconds with 42 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal