Life and Death > Historical Mystery Writing

Too much talk, not enough action

<< < (2/2)

Calam:
Dave, mine are private citizens, two friends helping their 3rd friend find the killer of her prominent husband and at least two of the friends fear for their lives, but the least suspecting friend is in the most danger. I do have one major action scene coming up but in the meantime I thought I should have them get out of their chairs and do more than talk. I like that you say it's okay to have dramatic or revealing conversation. There's plenty of that.

Byron, I'm glad to hear that. Now I'll get on with the next chapter of dialogue, cozy-style, but is it okay to add a moving shadow at least? hehehe. This novel won't be submitted for publication because I'm playing with 1950s culture, movies, music clothes, as the background to a school reunion, and I've used too many song lyrics that wouldn't pass copyright or would be too costly to get permission. Great writing exercise for me though, and I still want to be satisfied with the finished product since this is the first mystery I've attempted.

Dave Freas:
Another thing you could have the killer do is stalk them and play scary pranks on them.

Calam:
Dave, Play pranks or set traps. That's an idea. Oh, I forgot to mention one other incidental point. I keep changing the killer. I've changed it 4 times but think I'll stick with the last one, unless the identity becomes too obvious in the plot, and I'll have to make that one a victim like I'm about to do with the previous one.
Thanks for all the help. You have me thinking. That has to be good.

Dave Freas:
Some of those pranks can be deadly (or almost deadly).

Think poisonous snakes or spiders, tampered brake lines, falling trees or tree limbs, poisoned wine or water, gas leaks, fires, etc.

Calam:
hahaha. Now I'll have enough dramatic action for a sequel. Thank you.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version