Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New Profile Fields Available. More info here.

collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 22
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Book Piracy  (Read 10075 times)

Bob Mueller

• Administrator
  • Ink-Stained Wretch
  • Benevolent Admin
    • More about me
Book Piracy
« on: May 11, 2009, 11:47:23 PM »

I'll admit to being a bit surprised about this; I had no idea people were actively sharing books. I know how long it takes us to scan documents for work here, and I can't imagine trying to scan in something like Clear and Present Danger. But I guess it's happening. Then again, I happened upon a link to a PDF copy of one of the Harry Potter books the day after it was released.  :-\
--
Bob

Sometimes it takes therapy to put the past behind you. Other times, it takes a 20 gallon trash bag and a couple of cinder blocks.

Elena

• Ink-Stained Wretch
Re: Book Piracy
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 08:49:36 AM »

I think the problem is going to get a lot worse before it gets better. I had a conversation with one of the managers of a local branch of a national chain about the increasing number of empty shelves and the removal of entire book cases. This went along with the last four books that I would have purchased there but couldn't because they didn't have them, and are no longer allowed to special order them. In the past they definitely would have carried them.

Seems that all purchasing decisions are now done on a national basis based on crystal ball predictions of what will sell. Local buying patterns are no longer considered. All that expensive computer power is now disregarded. And, in a dumb effort to cut costs, they are only stocking what they consider "sure sellers". You definitely cannot sell something you don't stock - a self fulling action if I've ever seen one.

Pretty soon it's going to be down to Amazon and the Pirates.
"Head for the round house Maude, they can't corner us there!"

Charles King

• Ink-Stained Wretch
    • The Mysterious Writ
Re: Book Piracy
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 01:54:12 PM »

So long as there's a distinction between sharing a book--even a PDF of it-- with a friend over actual piracy, like through a website, I'm all in favor of cracking skulls. Sharing a book is one of the best things about--well, books.

Too, maybe we should make an advantage out of a disadvantage. I sense a new type of blurb or cover letter containing the phrase "most pirated" coming in the future. I figure marketing is marketing even if it's black marketing.

CKing 8)
A writer must teach himself that the basest of all things is to be afraid.

William Faulkner
Pages: [1]   Go Up

* Calendar
April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.012 seconds with 46 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal