Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

MWF is on Twitter. Follow @MystryWrtrs for forum tweets. See who we're following.

collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 34
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: procedure question  (Read 4804 times)

dhparker

• Ink-Stained Wretch
    • Donna Parker's Home Page
procedure question
« on: October 30, 2006, 09:01:33 AM »

Please, could I have some advice on what an officer's training says he should do in a particular situation?

Scene:  A decrepit barn out behind a house in an almost deserted village. Two people have recently vanished, apparently, excuse the cliche, into thin air from the vicinity of the house.

Situation:  The officer and his fiancee have gone into the barn because she thinks she saw somebody (maybe one of the missing persons) going inside it. 

A heavy old bale of hay comes down from the loft, hits the fiancee.  Both hay and fiancee go right through the rotten floor of the barn and end up in some kind of cavern below it.

The officer knows the bale could have been pushed.  Fiancee says she's not badly hurt, but he can't see her to confirm that and worries she may have injuries that aren't immediately apparent.  There's no easy way down, no easy way to get her out.  He's not in uniform and he doesn't have his patrol car, so can't radio for help.  He does have a cell phone.

I imagine he would need to call for some kind of help and back-up, check the loft to see if somebody's still up there (and possibly ready to do further damage), find someway to get down to fiancee, or to get her out.  My question is, in what order should he do these things?  Another question:  Is there something he should or would do that I haven't thought of?

This is a cozy, not a procedural, but I don't want the officer doing something no real officer would do or neglecting to do something he should do.

Hope this makes sense!

Hummm.  Anybody know how to get an accent mark on cliche and fiancee? ???

JIM DOHERTY

• Wordsmith
    • http://www.deadlyserious.com/JimDoherty
Re: procedure question
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006, 01:07:27 PM »

Donna,

Re your situation below:

Scene:  A decrepit barn out behind a house in an almost deserted village. Two people have recently vanished, apparently, excuse the cliche, into thin air from the vicinity of the house.

Situation:  The officer and his fiancee have gone into the barn because she thinks she saw somebody (maybe one of the missing persons) going inside it. 

A heavy old bale of hay comes down from the loft, hits the fiancee.  Both hay and fiancee go right through the rotten floor of the barn and end up in some kind of cavern below it.

The officer knows the bale could have been pushed.  Fiancee says she's not badly hurt, but he can't see her to confirm that and worries she may have injuries that aren't immediately apparent.  There's no easy way down, no easy way to get her out.  He's not in uniform and he doesn't have his patrol car, so can't radio for help.  He does have a cell phone.

I imagine he would need to call for some kind of help and back-up, check the loft to see if somebody's still up there (and possibly ready to do further damage), find someway to get down to fiancee, or to get her out.  My question is, in what order should he do these things?  Another question:  Is there something he should or would do that I haven't thought of?

This is a cozy, not a procedural, but I don't want the officer doing something no real officer would do or neglecting to do something he should do.

From your description, it sounds like you're in a rural jurisdiction.

There're several different things to consider, because there's no one answer to your question.  Many different cops would handle it many different ways.

Assuming the cop works in the jurisdiction that includes the barn (isn't a big city cop in a rural/resort area for a vacation with his girl, for example), than he's probably used to dealing with things on his own because, in a rural jurisdiction, cover's often a long way away.

In other words, walking a two-block beat on a busy street in Midtown Manhattan is different than deputy sheriffing on a long stretch of back country road.  And those two cops are going to react to things differently, not only because of their training (which may be essentially similar), but because of their experience (which is way different).

The primary point here, however, is neither the rural location, the training, professional experience, nor type of jurisdiction the cop works in.  It's that the cop's fiance is involved.  Here's something to remember about cops, and about everyone else for that matter.  You can be the best cop in the world, but you're no cop at all when someone you love is part of the equation.  So the fact that his girlfriend is in potential danger is going to cause him to react differently than if it was a citizen he didn't personally know.

Were it me, my fiance would be my main concern.  If I had my gun (and I almost never wore my gun on dates in my single days, and rarely wear it when I'm out with my wife now 'cause she doesn't like it), or even if I didn't, I'd probably  just stand guard over the hole until help arrived.  I think I'd probably take my girl's word a that she wasn't seriously hurt, but, unless there was a ladder or a rope in my line of sight, I don't think I'd leave that hole, even if I was dead certain there was someone on the second story.  Particularly if I was dead certain there was someone on the second story.  My primary mission would be to protect my girl and to make sure, since I couldn't see her, that she and I were in contact.  I'd call 911 from the hole.  I continually scan the perimeter from the hole.  I'd look up at the second story from the hole.  I'd have my gun out (assuming I was packing) and be alert for any potential attack from any direction from the hole.

But if my fiance is down that hole, I'm not leaving that hole.  If I'm truly worried about an attack, I might even move hay stacks around to set up a defensive perimeter around that hole.  But apprehension and preservation of evidence isn't going to be my primary concern.  Keeping my girl safe is.

That's me, however.  The other lawdogs on this list might have different ideas.  And you might need your cop to do something different for the purpose of your story.  That's fine.  The thing is, make sure you've got him doing whatever he does because of believable priorities.  If he takes the steps he takes because his main priority is keeping his girl safe, and he doesn't do something that's screams "no cop would ever do that!" I'll probably go along, particularly if it isn't a police procedural anyway.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 01:52:33 PM by JIM DOHERTY »

dhparker

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2006, 01:40:21 PM »

Thanks, Jim.  Very helpful and much appreciated.  I'll be interested to hear if anybody else has a different take on it.

donna

Oh, forgot to say, yes, the setting is rural (Missouri Ozarks).  The cop is a Missouri State Trooper and the barn is in his assigned zone.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 02:53:13 PM by dhparker »

Michele Viney

• Hack
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 07:26:56 AM »

Donna

Naturally I cannot help on the police procedural bit but as far as the cliché bit goes, if you are using a PC hit Alt Gr and the letter you want the accent over. If you are using a Mac I think it's just Alt and the letter.

Michele
All fun and games until someone loses an eye - Christopher Brookmyre

dhparker

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2006, 09:07:05 AM »

Michele, thanks for the hint, but either I'm blind (sometimes I don't see things even if they're right in front of me) or I have a different kind of keyboard.  I don't see anything labeled "Gr".  ???

Michele Viney

• Hack
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2006, 11:07:03 AM »

Donna

You are not blind it's just that you could be using the key board for years and not use all the keys so your mind ignore the keys that are not important to you.

It all rests on the question are you a PC person or a Mac personand both keyboards differ - sometimes very annoyingly.

If you have a PC you might have two ALT keys one would be ALT on its own and the other which is on the righthand side of the key board say "ALT Gr"

If you are a Mac user then you only have one ALT key - near the Apple symbol and this gives you the alternative keyboard.

Failing all of that type "keyboard" into your Help index and it should show you the way to your alternative keyboard - You'll be amazed what you'll find!
All fun and games until someone loses an eye - Christopher Brookmyre

Ingrid

• Wordsmith
    • The Official IJ Parker site
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2006, 01:52:13 PM »

Go to "Insert" on your tool bar and select symbol. Frustrating, but it works.  Arrgh! see below.

As for the scenario:  Considering the officer has just heard from his friancee (hah!  I see the problem. It's the e-mail symbol you want.  Sorry) that one of two mispers are in a barn next door, wouldn't he call this information in before investigating?  Would he, in any case, want to involve his girl in the investigation?  Would his fellow officers approve?  Hmm, I'm making problems here.

Ingrid

Jonathon

• Wordsmith
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 03:29:40 AM »

Since your cop is local, he would call the station.  I’m sure his mates would be there on the double.

If the floor gives way from just a hay bale on top of his fiancée (assuming she’s not an XXXL woman), it probably isn’t safe for him to run around on it trying to find a way down to the cavern (where the missing people most likely have disappeared into, and smugglers probably use).

Since he can’t get her out alone, his cell phone is his greatest weapon.

If it were me, I’d call for backup.  But, what he does depends on your cop’s personality.  If he’s a hotdog, A-personality a$$hole, then he’ll either climb up the rafters to catch the bad guy or jump down to save his sweetie.

I’m hoping he has common sense.

As for fiancée, I just type it normally and when Word spell checks it asks if I want to put in the accent, then I do.

An interesting note:  fiancée is the prospective bride, while fiancé is the prospective groom.  Ah, the English language. ;)

dhparker

• Ink-Stained Wretch
Re: procedure question (about the accents)
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2006, 08:32:13 AM »

Michele, my PC just has two ALT keys, and I can't see any difference in effect.  I looked briefly at the help page, but will need to take a lot more time on it before I can figure it out.  I don't have a problem typing accents in my word processor, so, yes, Ingrid, the problem is typing them here.

Jon, we have WORD, but it doesn't seem to work with what I do on this board.  I guess the fiance/fiancee thing is French.  So long as Zara takes note that I do know accents go on those words, I'll live with it.   ;)  Thank you all for the suggestions, anyway.

Sorry, all this probably should have gone in tech troubles.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 08:44:25 AM by dhparker »

dhparker

• Ink-Stained Wretch
Re: procedure question (the story problem)
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2006, 08:43:02 AM »

Ingrid and Lee, you're absolutely right.  Of course, she shouldn't have gone into that barn with him, but when has that ever stopped a fictional sidekick--especially in a cozy?  ;D

Actually, given the whole story, I think I've made a believable case for her going in there.

Rest easy, Jon.  The cop does have some common sense.  You're right about the floor being rotten, so he's using great caution there.  Sorry, no smugglers.  :o

Thanks to all of you for your comments and suggestions.  You've really helped!

Zara

• Ink Slinger
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2006, 08:08:59 PM »

An interesting note:  fiancée is the prospective bride, while fiancé is the prospective groom.  Ah, the English language. ;)

Wouldn't like to disappoint you Jon but fiancé(e) is a French word and the extra 'e' is used for female gender.
 ;D
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 08:10:48 PM by Zara »
Zara

Jonathon

• Wordsmith
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2006, 11:06:50 PM »

Jon, we have WORD, but it doesn't seem to work with what I do on this board.  I guess the fiance/fiancee thing is French.  So long as Zara takes note that I do know accents go on those words, I'll live with it.   ;)  Thank you all for the suggestions, anyway.

Sorry, I should have been more specific.  I wrote my post in Word and used its spell checker, then copied and pasted it here.  That's how I got the accent on fiancee.

dhparker

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2006, 01:12:26 PM »

Sorry, I should have been more specific.  I wrote my post in Word and used its spell checker, then copied and pasted it here.  That's how I got the accent on fiancee.

Thanks, Jon.  Next time I need accents, I may do it that way.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

* Calendar
October 2021
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 41 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal