Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New Profile Fields Available. More info here.

collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 37
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cops and Writers - Police Pet Peeves  (Read 10615 times)

Alison Holt

• Cub
Cops and Writers - Police Pet Peeves
« on: March 15, 2011, 02:11:55 PM »

My name is Alison Holt and I am a retired Lieutenant from the Tucson Police Department with twenty years of law enforcement experience.  I also write Mystery, Psychological Thrillers and whatever else tickles my fancy.  Over the years I have accumulated what I call Police Pet Peeves - things that bug cops about fictional officers or procedures - and I have started blogging about them.  I'd like to share my blog posts here if that's okay.  To see past posts, please go to http://tinyurl.com/4f48xhs and check them out. 

I love teaching other writers about police procedures and if you have any specific questions...feel free to fire away! I'll check back periodically and try to help out when I can.

Alison Naomi Holt
http://www.Alisonholtbooks.com
Author of
The Door at the Top of the Stairs  http://tinyurl.com/5sduywv
Credo's Hope - Book 1 of the Alex Wolfe Mysteries  http://tinyurl.com/6blqpc7
Credo's Legacy, Book 2 of the Alex Wolfe Mysteries http://tinyurl.com/4zq3crq

MTH

• Ink Slinger
Re: Cops and Writers - Police Pet Peeves
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 05:03:44 PM »

Thanks, I'm sure we'll have questions for you. Going to check out your blog.

Mickey

Bob Mueller

• Administrator
  • Ink-Stained Wretch
  • Benevolent Admin
    • More about me
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 07:35:29 PM »

Welcome aboard, Alison.
--
Bob

Sometimes it takes therapy to put the past behind you. Other times, it takes a 20 gallon trash bag and a couple of cinder blocks.

Kat

• Hack
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 09:51:28 PM »

Welcome! I'm sure you will get lots of questions. Checked out the blog and love it!

Old Bill

• Ink Slinger
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 09:08:29 PM »

Welcome Alison and congrats on experiencing a great police career.

I like your website and blog.  Can I add a PPP...the investigator that jumps to a conclusion about a fact without any lab or tech support, e.g. telling caliber of a gun by looking at the bullet hole in the vic...EVEN THROUGH CLOTHING!!!  The only weapon I could ever rule out in a shooting was a 105mm Howitzer...except for that case of a 12 ga. at close range but fortunately the shotgun was still at the scene  :P

Old Bill

Chuck

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 12:34:34 AM »

Welcome, Alison. Another retired officer here. I worked at Albuquerque PD and finished my career with the Los Alamos NM PD. Better retirement package at the time.

Great website and blog. Yeah, I remember some of those pet peeves happening to me. You failed to mention running code and having the whole light bar begin sliding off the car.

Also, driving off after a code run and forgetting to turn off the lights.

Or, answering a radio call and busting a red light. The solution, of course, is to flick on the overheads and race away. Then, turn down a side street and shut them off.

Slightly off topic:
I once drove to work wearing my uniform but forgetting my gun and leather gear. AND, I've gone to work with my uniform shirt and leather gear wearing blue jeans. I forgot the uniform pants.

JIM DOHERTY

• Wordsmith
    • http://www.deadlyserious.com/JimDoherty
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 01:42:19 PM »

Welcome, Alison,

During the last three weeks I've either been on the road training, in and out of the hospital twice, or convalescing at home, which is why I've taken a while to respond (or contribute to the Forum at all).

I'm a recently promoted sergeant in the AMTRAK Police, and have worked at a number of different agencies over the years.

My pet peeve, fictional cops who Mirandize a suspect at the moment of arrest.  Miranda was meant to protect suspects from custodial interrogations, so if there's no interrogation, there's no need for Miranda.

And, if you neither Mirandize nor question a suspect, any spontaneous admissions s/he makes, unprompted by questioning, are admissible.  So why would anyone make a point of reminding the suspect not to make spontaneous admissions?

Old Bill

• Ink Slinger
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 04:13:41 PM »

Welcome back to the land of the living, Jim.  Two hospital stays???  Sounds serious.  Glad you are recovering.

Old Bill

JIM DOHERTY

• Wordsmith
    • http://www.deadlyserious.com/JimDoherty
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 08:53:11 PM »

Bill,

Re your comment below:

Welcome back to the land of the living, Jim.  Two hospital stays???  Sounds serious.  Glad you are recovering.

An infection in my leg that started while I was away for my class in FLA, then grew overnight after I got home.

A few days after being released from the hospital, I went to my doctor for a follow-up.  She saw no improvement, and even some back-sliding, and decided to have me readmitted.

During the second stay, they figured out the right anti-biotics and I was released the next day.

It does give rise to a few observations.  First, God bless nurses, wonderful people (mostly but not exclusively ladies) who treat people, not symptoms.  Second, God bless Katy, my ever-lovin', who stayed with me through both hospital stays.  Third, God bless doctors who admit mistakes soon enough to rectify them.

I'm on the mend, getting better every day, and expect to be back at work harassing the officers on my watch . . . er . . . that is, um, fighting crime, this week.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

* Calendar
April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.21 seconds with 46 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal