Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 39
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Police Benefit Question  (Read 2429 times)

Charles King

• Ink-Stained Wretch
    • The Mysterious Writ
Police Benefit Question
« on: July 28, 2007, 03:51:36 PM »

Hi,
This is kind of odd, perhaps, but I was wondering what it would take for an officer to lose their benefits? In my WIP the MC is in a serious car accident. He was drinking, and was injured, plus a passenger was nearly killed and is now confined to a wheelchair. Because he as drunk, and off duty, would they pull his coverage? I know there might be two separate things here, what the Union says his benefits are and what the health proivider says they'll cover, but some sense of what likely would have happen afterward would be helpful. Thanks!

Charles

A writer must teach himself that the basest of all things is to be afraid.

William Faulkner

Matthew S.

• Wordsmith
Re: Police Benefit Question
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 12:25:06 PM »

Charles,

You could go about this the other way around.  I found out, when I was hurt on the job, that all those wonderful benefits the corporation offered were only good so long as I did NOT use them.  There is a constant list of hoops you have to leap through and instant, automatic denials that have absolutely nothing to do with whether your injured or not or even if you qualify (yes, you do but no they don't).  And the worst part was that the law provided just enough 'protection' to keep lawyers from becoming interested in your case - unless you wanted to pay all costs up front before they'd even consider listening to you. 

There is no scenario here that wild enough of far enough out there that wouldn't be believed.  Like the case worker who assured me that going back to work before the approved surgery would be okay because if I got reinjured or hurt more I'd still be covered.  Think that one over.  (It's okay for me to get more hurt but not okay for me to stay home and get better.)

Matthew S.

Charles King

• Ink-Stained Wretch
    • The Mysterious Writ
Re: Police Benefit Question
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 02:11:36 PM »

Thanks Matthew,
I've heard similar stories as your own. The health care providers could be suspect here, certainly. But I think I have it figured out from another angle. Again though, thanks for your help.

Charles  8)
A writer must teach himself that the basest of all things is to be afraid.

William Faulkner
Pages: [1]   Go Up

* Calendar
April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 45 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal