Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 31
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suicide Hotlines  (Read 2369 times)

Laura S

• Cub
Suicide Hotlines
« on: July 10, 2009, 03:08:26 PM »

Hi,
I donít have much time to post most of the time, although I do try to read everyone elseís posts when I have time.  I do have a question this time, though.

I need to know if suicide hotlines are traceable.  Say someone calls, is talking to a hotline worker, and states that he or she is going to do bodily injury to him or herself now.  Are the police linked into the hotlines?  Can they trace a call in order to send help, send an ambulance, etc?  Or is it completely anonymous?  Do the hotline groups trace the calls or use caller ID to have the numbers?  

I need a way (in my current WIP) for someone who is working a hotline to be suspected of tracking down a few people who had called in by either calling them back or sending a letter.  If this is completely not possible because no one ever traces the calls and tracing just isnít possible, then I need to re-think.  Any information would be helpful.  Thanks!

Laura J

JIM DOHERTY

• Wordsmith
    • http://www.deadlyserious.com/JimDoherty
Re: Suicide Hotlines
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 08:47:43 AM »

Laura,

Re your question below:

I need to know if suicide hotlines are traceable.  Say someone calls, is talking to a hotline worker, and states that he or she is going to do bodily injury to him or herself now.  Are the police linked into the hotlines?  Can they trace a call in order to send help, send an ambulance, etc?  Or is it completely anonymous?  Do the hotline groups trace the calls or use caller ID to have the numbers?  

I need a way (in my current WIP) for someone who is working a hotline to be suspected of tracking down a few people who had called in by either calling them back or sending a letter.  If this is completely not possible because no one ever traces the calls and tracing just isnít possible, then I need to re-think.  Any information would be helpful.  Thanks!

I used to volunteer at a crisis intervention hotline in high school and college.  The police aren't necessarily plugged into the line, but they can always be notified if such a call is coming in, and can start a trace.  It takes awhile, though.  A minumum of 20 minutes back when I was in high school.

The proliferation of cells, which are, as I unerstand it, more difficult to trace, might also be problematic.

On the other hand, Caller ID makes things easier.

Laura S

• Cub
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 02:26:06 PM »

Thanks, Jim.  :)  This is what I needed to know.

Laura J

Lynette

• Ink-Stained Wretch
    • Lynette Hall Hampton
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 11:43:46 AM »

Hi Laura,

A quick note. I talked with a friend of mine who volunteers on such a hotline. She said that they are continaully warned to never give out personal information to the caller because of danger to themselves. Some people call several nights  or even weeks in a row because this is their only link to a friendship. Was just thinking that your volunteer could be pulled in by this means. Not only would they be breaking the rules, but it would be a good way for them to be suspected. Just a thought.

Lynette
Pages: [1]   Go Up

* Calendar
October 2021
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 41 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal