Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 32
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tools for learning to think like an investigator - does a game like this exist?  (Read 2529 times)

lurky

• Cub

hi,
I recently bought a thick book which is considered the bible for police investigators in an effort to become as insightful as some of my characters, and it has been useful, however what I think would be even better would be investigation "case studies".
I imagine mock crime scene investories, witness interview records and forensic reports, all highly realistic,  from which the player must piece together the crime.  It would work well as either an interactive computer game or a boxed game. Does such a thing exist? either for the general public or as part of the training materials for law enforcement? Thanks

I have requested this comment be deleted.

• BannedUsers
  • Hack

What's the name of the book?

I've been looking for a good guide to criminal investigation.  Most of the books I have sort of broadly cover the definitions and origins of concepts used in investigation (focusing mainly on forensics), but provide no "how-to" meat.  The best I have is Modern Police Investigation, published 1935.

I used to play a game with my friends in college, sort of an online roleplaying/writing game.  You know the "beautiful corpse"?  One person starts a poem or a story, then the next person adds a line, and so on.  We'd do that, only each of us would write for one character (or group of characters); and one of us would be the "game master" who set the rules, resolved any conflicts between players (say, for example, I write that my character kills your character--I'm not allowed to do that unilaterally, so our characters fight and the game master decides who wins the conflict), and decided any major changes in the world (like, if the President died--a player couldn't write that and make it true, but the game master could).  Just a collaborative writing project with rules and a competitive aspect.

I'm reading the Tuesday Night Club stories by Agatha Christie, and it reminded me of that game.

MTH

• Ink Slinger

There are computer games, specifically the Sherlock Homes series of games by Frogware, that do this type of thing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

* Calendar
October 2021
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 42 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal