Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read this important notice about the November 2018 outage.

collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 176
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rob Kantner's Ben Perkins  (Read 9607 times)

JIM DOHERTY

• Wordsmith
    • http://www.deadlyserious.com/JimDoherty
Rob Kantner's Ben Perkins
« on: March 19, 2007, 11:23:54 PM »

Another section that's never been used, and, since everyone's so quiet, I thought I'd break it in, too, having already posted something over at "Cozies."

In addition to Agatha Christies massive collection of every single Poirot short story, Hercule Poirot's Casebook, I've been reading Rob Kantner's Trouble Is What I Do, his collection of most, though not all, of his short stories about Detroit-based apartment-maintenance-man-cum-PI Ben Perkins.

Unlike the Poirot book, which I've been reading to see if a character I never really cared for would be more palatable if I partook of more modest servings, I've been reading the Perkins collection because I've enjoyed the Perkins novels so much.

And the short stories deliver just as well as the novels do.

Perkins actually started in short stories before breaking into book-length fiction, which, if I ever sell An Obscure Grave, will also true of my guy, Dan Sullivan, so there's a bit of resonance there for me.  A guy who was successful following the same trail I've been taking.

Aside from that, the character is great, and so's Kantner's writing.  There's not quite the sheer style you get from that other Detroit-based op, Loren Estleman's Amos Walker, but Kantner's voice fits his unabashedly blue-collar, beer-drinking handy-man/private eye to a T.

Kantner's won himself a mess of Shamuses from the PWA, so you know he's respected by his brethren (and sistren) in the PI community.  If you haven't made his acquaintance, and you like hard-boiled private eyes, I recommend the Perkins series unreservedly.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 10:52:54 AM by JIM DOHERTY »

Janet Koch

• Expositor
Re: Rob Kantner's Ben Perkins
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 11:29:36 AM »

Hmm. I'm not familiar with Rob Kantner's work at all. And since I'm headed to the library today, I think I'll see if they have any of his Ben Perkins books.

Thanks for the recommendation, Jim!

Janet

JIM DOHERTY

• Wordsmith
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 01:00:30 PM »

Janet,

I hope you're able to find a few.  Problem is, Kantner's novels were all paperback originals, and the last one, Concrete Hero ,came out in the mid-'90's.  Perkins, who started out exclusively in short stories before graduating to book-length, has returned to that form almost exclusively.

But, if your library doesn't have 'em, they might be able to do an interlibrary loan with one that does.  The first novel in the series was The Back-Door Man.

Janet Koch

• Expositor
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 02:08:30 PM »

My small town library is coming up dry, but they'll look interlibrary. We'll see.

The only drawback I've found to moving to a rural part of Michigan (the county where I live has fewer residents than the company for which my brother works has employees) is the library system. I used to live within a wonderful library co-op -- access to over a million titles with delivery to your local library within two days.

Ah, well.

Janet
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 02:13:30 PM by Janet Koch »

Ingrid

• Wordsmith
    • The Official IJ Parker site
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 12:58:39 PM »

There's a lesson in this somewhere, I'm afraid.

Matthew S.

• Wordsmith
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 05:46:26 PM »

I just called our local used book store (they know me personally), and they informed me that they have three of his books:

HELLS ONLY HALF FULL
MADE IN DETROIT
THE BACKDOOR MAN

Kathy, the lady who works there, pulled them off the shelf just for me.  (That's the good news - the bad?  I'm 400 miles away, 'on loan' for the next two weeks.)

Matthew S.

JIM DOHERTY

• Wordsmith
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 12:00:06 AM »

All great books, Matthew.  I particularly enjoyed the Shamus-winning Hell's Only Half Full.  The first Perkins novel, The Back-Door Man, was also a Shamus winner.

Happy reading.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

* Calendar
March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 42 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal