Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New Profile Fields Available. More info here.

collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 63
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Robert B. Parker RIP  (Read 11855 times)

JIM DOHERTY

• Wordsmith
    • http://www.deadlyserious.com/JimDoherty
Robert B. Parker RIP
« on: January 20, 2010, 02:58:04 AM »

Since his most famous character was the Boston PI Spenser, this seemed like the most appropriate place to mention that, on another site, I was informed that best-selling crime novelist Robert B. Parker passed away apparently while writing at his desk.  He was 77.

An prolific writer (more than 60 books in 37 years), his most successful character was Boston private eye Spenser, described, not without some justification, as Philip Marlowe transplanted to Boston.  One of his early Spenser novels, Promsied Land, was the first hard-boiled private eye novel in nearly two decades to win an Edgar for Best Mystery Novel.

Parker's devotion to the hard-boiled PI form was long-standing.  He was a college professor prior to becoming a novelist, and his doctoral thesis was on hard-boiled pioneers Dashiell Hammett and Raymond Chandler.  In addition to his Spenser series, he was selected to complete Chandler's unfinished (and in all likelihood abandoned) Marlowe novel, Poodle Springs, which he followed up with an original Marlowe pastiche, Perchance to Dream, a direct sequel to the first Marlowe novel, The Big Sleep.

While most of his output featured Spenser, he'd branced out in recent years, creating another Boston-set series about female PI Sunny Randall; a police procedural series about Jesse Stone, chief of a small-town police force in Massachusetts; and a western series featuring Virgil Cole and Everett Hitch, a pair of itinerant frontier lawman.  In the last year, perhaps taking note of the success of the Harry Potter series, he'd begun a series of young adult mysteries featuring Spenser during his adolescent years.

The Spenser novels had, in recent years, gotten a lot of criticism for becoming so formulaic, and such criticism was not entirely unjustified.  But the early Spenser books are extraordinarily good, and it's not overstating the case to suggest that it was Parker's huge success with Spenser that revitalized a mystery sub-genre that had, frankly, become pretty moribund during the 1960's and early '70's.  The MWA recognized his significant contributions to the genre by naming him a Grand Master in 2002.

Mr. Parker had a large number of intensely loyal fans.  He'll be greatly missed.

Dave Freas

• Ink-Stained Wretch
Re: Robert B. Parker RIP
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 07:25:34 AM »

Mr. Parker had a large number of intensely loyal fans.  He'll be greatly missed.

I sure will miss him.  Parker was probably the first mystery writer who caught and captured my attention with his style and voice.  I agree his novels became a bit formulaic of late, but after 30+ books in the series, what new ground is there to explore?  Having said that, let me say they were and are and will continue to be great entertainment because of Parker's voice and sharp dialog.

I admit, too, to finding his Jesse Stone series a bit fresher and realistic (the only word I can think of) than Spenser.

Dave

Bob Mueller

• Administrator
  • Ink-Stained Wretch
  • Benevolent Admin
    • More about me
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 08:59:01 AM »

He will definitely be missed. He was the author who really got me interested in mysteries. Did not know he was a professor prior to writing.
--
Bob

Sometimes it takes therapy to put the past behind you. Other times, it takes a 20 gallon trash bag and a couple of cinder blocks.

Kat

• Hack
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 12:59:24 PM »

It's sad to see such a talented writer pass on. I don't think his space on the bookstore shelves will be replaced by another writer for a very long time.

Lynette

• Ink-Stained Wretch
    • Lynette Hall Hampton
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 11:37:09 AM »

I was sad to hear of his passing. I was a fan of his Jesse Stone books and will miss Robert Parker and his writing.

Lynette

Chuck

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 10:16:47 PM »

Not trying to dredge up an old thread, but wanted to comment. I've read many of the Spenser novels and have all the Jesse Stone books. I've read them a couple of times each.

Also, met Robert Parker once at, of all places, the Agawam Diner which he mentioned in at least one of his Spenser novels. We were in Maine visiting my in laws, and we were headed south to visit some other of my wife's friends in Massachusetts. She mentioned the diner and we stopped. Lo and behold, there was Parker in his favorite booth.

Naturally, I had to speak to him - I don't meet famous writers every day. We spoke for barely a minute, maybe two and that was that. At least I can say I met him.

Dave Freas

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 10:54:59 PM »

Lucky you, Chuck.

Of all the writers I admire and enjoy reading, Robert B. Parker is the one I would most have liked to meet.  And I would have loved to sit with him for an hour (or more) and pick his brains on writing.

Seems funny I just finished Resolution, his second Cole and Hitch book a few moments before I logged on here.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

* Calendar
March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 42 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal