Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New Profile Fields Available. More info here.

collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 44
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: On publishing  (Read 9490 times)

Kathy Wendorff

• Ink-Stained Wretch
On publishing
« on: July 22, 2007, 08:02:23 AM »

Here's a lesson on publishing from one of my favorite authors, Jenny Crusie:

http://www.crusiemayer.com/workshop/she-wrote-publishing/jenny/

From what I've observed, sitting on the unpublished sidelines, it's all true. What do the rest of you (published and unpublished) think?

Question 2 -- if God came down and told you you'd never publish another book -- would you keep writing? I'm still mulling that one over.

Kathy W.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 08:03:54 AM by Kathy Wendorff »

Elena

• Ink-Stained Wretch
Re: On publishing
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 11:14:48 AM »

Yo Kathy,
Certainly it's true.  Creating art and the marketing of art are two very distinct skills that rarely reside in the same person.  Whether it's wall art, or writing, the selling/publishing of same is for one purpose only and that is to make money for someone(s) - hopefully the artist being included. 

I have never understood why writing was singled out of all the art forms to be persistently judged by being sold.   When I tell someone I paint, the first response is never -have you sold, it's usually what medium do you use?  If then after they see my paintings they ask me if I sell - that is usually a compliment - though not always  :D

But, when I tell people I'm a writer, the most common response is have you pubished anywhere that I might have read?  Sorry to say that as I get older I'm now inclined to politely ask "How well do you read?".

Having dealt with a lot of editors and publishers in the non-fiction world I actually have no interest in publishing any of my fiction.  Part of that is because now that I am retired and not selling my art work, but just painting for myself and the occasional gift, I am really having fun.  Applying that lesson to writing fiction works for me.  I'm writing mysteries for the fun of it.  I am no longer interested in getting into the incredibly stressful mindset necessary to deal with editors and publishers.  They have their world and I have mine!

Elena
"Head for the round house Maude, they can't corner us there!"

Matthew S.

• Wordsmith
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 01:51:20 PM »

If I knew I'd never get another thing published, would I still write?

I'm afraid the answer is yes.  I say afraid because I'd do it whether I wanted to or not.  IMHO, there is something of sanity in writing.

I wrote for decades without expecting anything to be published.  There was a fourteen year period in my life when I'd given up writing all together to take care of a full time job and a full time family ... and yet some of my favorite 'children' were written during that period, stories that will probably never see the light of an editor's lamp.  It never failed: I'd get so frustrated with life that writing was the only way of relieving that tension. 

I have also discovered that I'm pretty good at 'fixing' other people's stuff (that is, stuff that is mostly okay to begin wtih).  I'm a tweaker.  That's where my fret and worry come from.  I tend to put stuff on paper rather quickly but then edit and re-edit over and over again.  I once rewrote a novel seven times, changing major characters and even villains.  I even nicknamed that book, "The manuscript from hell that would not die or go away." 

I recognize the fact that I have talent, just as I recognize that most of the people here have real, genuine talent.  But I also recognize that talent alone doesn't guarantee anything except fret and worry and a little misery on the side.  But boy, what a feeling when a story comes together and what a thrill when you actually see your name in print. 

That's worth just about anything, isn't it?

Matthew S.

B L McAllister

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 06:22:09 PM »

I think the hypothesis was merely that He (or She) would tell [me I'd] never get another novel published.  She (or He) might or might not call me sassy if I asked about my prospects for publishing other genres.  But, hey, if my fortune's being told, I could at least ask for additional details.

Byron
Byron Leon McAllister.
Books by Byron and Kay McAllister can most easily be obtained as e-books or in print from the publisher at http://www.writewordsinc.com/ For "Undercover Nudist," the print version is an improved version of the ebook version. The others are the same in both formats.

Ingrid

• Wordsmith
    • The Official IJ Parker site
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 09:50:38 AM »

God doesn't speak to me, so that one has no affect on my writing.

As for Crusie:  It's not quite that simple.  The publisher does control sales.  The problem is that only very few authors are groomed for success.  The rest are tossed out there to see if they swim or sink. Surprises happen sometimes, even to publishers.
For all practical purposes that means you have an uphill fight not only against all the others struggling to get to the safe haven of making the numbers, but also against those who have been given swim-wings, canoes, or motor boats.
Of course sometimes the favored ones are so inept that they manage to lose the publisher's boat and go down.

Otherwise she is quite right. If you can separate the writing from the selling, do so by all means.  It isn't all that easy.  Dan Brown and Janet Evanovich planned their formula carefully ahead of time and that paid off.  Perhaps Alexander McCall Smith also did.  I detect the traits of the best sellers in his series. But then you may not want to write like those folks.

Janet Koch

• Expositor
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 12:44:27 PM »

...The problem is that only very few authors are groomed for success.  The rest are tossed out there to see if they swim or sink....you have an uphill fight not only against all the others struggling to get to the safe haven of making the numbers, but also against those who have been given swim-wings, canoes, or motor boats.

Okay, I can swim, but I don't know if I can swim uphill  :)

But that's a great analogy, Ingrid. It certainly isn't an even race out there in publishing land.

Janet

Ingrid

• Wordsmith
    • The Official IJ Parker site
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 01:47:11 PM »

Thanks, Janet.  Dogpaddling gets awfully tiring after a while.

dhparker

• Ink-Stained Wretch
    • Donna Parker's Home Page
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2007, 08:48:10 AM »

IMHO, there is something of sanity in writing.

I agree, Matthew.  As we say in my family, writing is much less expensive than therapy.  Works better for me, too.;D

Donna
Pages: [1]   Go Up

* Calendar
March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.013 seconds with 45 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal