Life and Death > Weaponry

A gun for a lady with long fingers?

(1/1)

I have requested this comment be deleted.:
I may have to take this to a forum for gun enthusiasts or find a local expert.  I just thought there might be a chance someone here would know, and it does pertain to character in a detective story.

A video I saw stressed the importance of trigger placement--or placement of the finger on the trigger--for accurate shooting.  If just the very end of the finger touches the trigger, the gun may jerk slightly to the side when the trigger is pulled.  Same if the finger is wrapped all the way around the trigger.  This got me thinking:  The gun has to be the right size for the shooter's hand.  So, even though your female detective may be a tough broad who can handle the recoil of a .44 Magnum, it still would be a bad idea for her to use that gun if her fingers aren't long enough to get proper trigger placement.

A similar kind of problem might occur if your detective wants to look feminine but has big hands.  She may prefer some kind of ladies handbag automatic, but her finger would wrap around that trigger and cause her shooting to be less accurate.

Two questions:

1. Is my premise correct?  Is trigger placement really all that important (and am I using the correct terminology)?

2. What are some small guns designed for shooters with long fingers--or would it be necessary to have the gun custom-made?

JIM DOHERTY:
Doc,

Your premise that trigger placement is important is correct.  Your corollary that it is as difficult for a person with long fingers to shoot a small weapon as it is for a person with short fingers to shoot a large weapon isn't necessarily.

A person with long fingers will be able to control his/her shot, even if the weapon is small, more easily than a person with short fingers will when the trigger guard is not an easy reach.  It mightn't be comfortable, but it's not nearly as difficult a handicap to overcome.

However, I can't imagine any professional choosing a gun because it "looks more feminine."  Ease of concealment might be a factor.  Comfort.  Fit.  Reliability.  But feminine appearance would have to rank way down there, to the point of not being a consideration at all, no matter how feminine your character is.  If she's familiar with firearms, and she's carrying it for protection, she's going to choose the weapon that best suits her needs, not the one that accessorizes best with her ensemble.

Chase:
Doc,

1.  Jim covered finger placement on the trigger well.  For normal hands, shooters want the pad of the index finger on the trigger.  For slow and sustained fire (usually single-action with its reduced trigger travel and weight) many shooters cheat farther toward the fingertip.  For rapid and double-action fire, many cheat inward toward the bend.  Most shooters quickly find the right place.  Either way, as Jim says, longer fingers adapt better.

2.  Grip fit is very important.  I think many misunderstand large-bore recoil and opt for a “smaller, lighter” handgun thinking recoil will be reduced.  The opposite true.  A mass at rest tends to remain at rest.  The greater the mass, the greater the tendency; thus, heavier guns tend to dampen perceived recoil.  For example, the old 14-oz aluminum frame Colt Agent used to be a real hand-stinger, even in .38 Special.

Many find the popular little 26-oz. Ruger SP-101 snub-nose revolver in .357 Magnum uncomfortable, too.  But here is where fit is important.  The SP-101's grip is formed around a “post,” and custom aftermarket grips may be easily made to fit any hand, even handicapped hands, and greatly increase comfort while shooting. 

You imply your lady carries a semiautomatic.  With her long fingers, she should have no problem purchasing a good set of rubberized grips in any gun shop or order custom grips for it.  Either will help to ease perceived recoil.

Chase

Elena:
Doc,

I can add a bit since I had some of those considerations when I went through POST training in order to be able to carry concealed.  Though I doubt I'd pass as a "lady", I am a woman  :D  And, a short woman with small hands as well as short arms.  They had a number of weapons they wanted me to try and qualify with.  Several of them I was completely unable to shoot because I could not even reach the trigger. (I have this problem with power tools also).   Someone suggested trying me with a two handed stance, but the trainer gave my arms a glance and said it wouldn't help.  Curiousity prevailed and I showed them how, with my extra short arms combined with my very female frontage it took me way too much time to arrange myself to get my hands together with a gun inbetween.

Anyway, back to the event.  Any gun that allowed me to hold it securely and reach the trigger with the first joint of my finger worked just fine for me.  There actually was one that was too small - I couldn't back up my hand enough to use it properly.  However, I did not have any trouble with the guns where just the tip of my finger was on the trigger.  I think because living with small hands I'm used to making adjustments.

And believe me - there is no way I'd be interested in a 'feminine' looking gun.  I wanted the biggest baddest looking gun they would give me.  I didn't carry often, but when I did I wanted everyone to know it and to respect it.  My vote was to never use it.

One last thought - I cringe everytime I come across a reference to a woman (or a man) carrying a gun in their handbag - it is terribly dangerous.  It takes way too long to get it out, and if you're mugged you just armed a bad guy.  Mine was in a body holster.

Elena

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version