Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

MWF is on Twitter. Follow @MystryWrtrs for forum tweets. See who we're following.

collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 42
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blanks or a real bullet  (Read 20249 times)

Jonathon

• Wordsmith
Blanks or a real bullet
« on: February 09, 2010, 02:51:12 AM »

In "Assassin in the Attic" I have a spent shell found in the attic with a tripod.  An actor was shot a block or two away during a film shoot.

But was it a publicity stunt or a murder attempt.  A real bullet or a blank?

Is there any way to tell just from the shell?

Jon

Bob Mueller

• Administrator
  • Ink-Stained Wretch
  • Benevolent Admin
    • More about me
Re: Blanks or a real bullet
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 11:43:47 AM »

Usually, yes.

Typically, a blank round is crimped at the end. See the middle round in this image: http://www.inetres.com/gp/military/infantry/rifle/5.56mm/556mm_ammo.jpg. Here's another example, this time for .45 ACP, a common handgun round: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/LargeImage.aspx?sku=AMM-012

Those crimps will blow open to let the gasses escape from the case, but you'll still see the "wrinkles" at the end of the case.

However!

Actor Jon-Erik Hexum was killed when he placed a revolver loaded with blanks against his temple and pulled the trigger. Most blanks include some sort of wadding or packing inside the case, and that wadding struck his skull hard enough to shatter a piece of his skull; the piece caused massive bleeding, and he never recovered.
--
Bob

Sometimes it takes therapy to put the past behind you. Other times, it takes a 20 gallon trash bag and a couple of cinder blocks.

grahampowell

• Expositor
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 08:50:37 PM »

If this was in fact a publicity stunt, there's no reason why the "shooter" couldn't take the empty blank cartridge with him and leave a spent live cartridge.

DickDeadly

• Cub
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 11:25:43 PM »

This is an old thread now, but I thought I'd reply anyway. Someone might find it useful.

About thirty years ago, I was in the Australian Army Reserve, this was back when they still used the 7.62mm SLR. The blank rounds for them looked almost like they were made out of black plastic. They ejected out of the weapon looking similar to the way they'd gone in, except with the crimped part blown open.

They tended to leave a lot more residue in the barrel and reloading mechanism than a real round, so if you have the weapon that's something to consider.

Also, as Bob said, it's possible to kill with a blank round. During my recruit training they demonstrated the force of one by putting an empty Coke can over the muzzle and pulling the trigger. It obliterated the can.

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up

* Calendar
March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 45 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal