Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

MWF is on Twitter. Follow @MystryWrtrs for forum tweets. See who we're following.

collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 101
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ? Literary Magazines  (Read 4686 times)

Matthew S.

• Wordsmith
? Literary Magazines
« on: June 20, 2007, 07:20:03 PM »

Hi guys.  Another question.  (The airport story is finished and this is another story.) 

I have a writer who's bragging a bit, telling someone of all the literary mags he's sold stories to.  The only problem is, not having sold a story to a Lit Mag, I really don't know a whole lot of them.  I've got The New Yorker and Times, but other than that I couldn't think of any others.

Suggestions?

Matthew S.

I have requested this comment be deleted.

• BannedUsers
  • Hack
Re: ? Literary Magazines
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 03:24:45 AM »

I would make them up.

Listing real-world literary magazines isn't really adding any value to your story.

If I was doing it as a joke, I'd pick some obvious astrological/occult symbolism, so it's like the character is saying, "I've been published by the Prince of Hades and the Lord of the Damned."

Harpers is good.  It has that stereotypical "literary magazine" vibe.

clayiseditor

• Hack
    • E.C. Morgan
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 09:46:04 AM »

Mathew,

I would NOT make them up, if you are wanting them to expand your published credits list. That type of thing always comes back to haunt you.

I assume this is still published, but I'm uncertain - Writer's Digest used to publish a "Fiction Writer's Market" that listed a ton of magazines, including many small and literary magazines. Some of these offered no payment but it is an opportunity to be published in a bona fide magazine. And some of them, even the small ones, were quite highly regarded. It seemed many of the well-respected ones were from universities, but that may have been merely my perception of things.

If you look around online, you can probably find some too. There are likely web sites that list some - I use Ralan's (www.ralan.com) to search for smaller genre markets, especially horror/scifi/fantasy. His listings may not be considered "literary" but he does list a ton of small magazines and webzines.

Clay

Matthew S.

• Wordsmith
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 06:52:28 PM »

Thanks Dr. Allen, Clay, for your responses.

First, I thought about making them up but it seems simpler (and more realistic) to use real magazines. 

Second, Clay - Yes, Writer Digest does still have the Writer's Market, including an online serv ice that I'm a part of.  Yes, I could look them up - and probably will - but I thought I'd drop by here first to see which magazines are perceived to be literary. 

What can I say; I value the opinons of MWFers. 

And just so you know, this is part of a play I'm working on.  I'm very excited about it but will refrain from mentioning anything about it until I'm finished (don't want to jinx myself).

Matthew S.

stevent

• Expositor
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 06:06:26 PM »

Of course Duotrope.com gives a listing of 1300 magazines, many of them lit. Also, just about college and university has a lit journal even if only to give out to students and mail to alumni.

Duotrope is a great place to look for markets as well since they give you reporting times and links to the magazines. I've made many a sale (and gotten many rejections) from magazines listed there.

http://www.duotrope.com

Matthew S.

• Wordsmith
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2007, 01:36:47 PM »

Thought I'd give a little closure to this particular thread.  Below is what I used - this is a play I'm working on entitled CUPID SUCKS - it's the story of a writer looking for a theme for his Valentine's Day article and Cupid comes a'calling to find out what this guy has against him:

CUPID:  You’re him, aren’t you?

ARTHUR:  Not that again.

(For answer, CUPID takes off his jacket.  Now everyone can read the slogan, a red T-shirt with white lettering:  CUPID SUCKS … JUST ASK MY EX.)

ARTHUR:  That again.

CUPID:  Excuse me?

ARTHUR:  I’ve written articles and essays for some of the most prestigious magazines in the world.  I’ve written for The New Yorker, Time Magazine and Harpers.  I’ve been highlighted in Playboy and Esquire.  I’ve even been talked about in People and U.S. magazines.  And what am I known for?  A stupid T-shirt slogan I wrote when I was drunk off my gourd. 

CUPID:  So you didn’t mean to write it?

ARTHUR:  Of course I meant to write it.  I’m a writer. 

CUPID:  But you didn’t mean it?

ARTHUR:  Not about me personally, but it did seem pertinent at the time.

CUPID:  You have something against marriage?

ARTHUR:  On the contrary, I’ve been married twenty-six years, most of those happily.

CUPID:  You have something against love?

ARTHUR:  (Thinking … )  Mmm, no … love my life, love my wife … no, I’d have to say I’ve got nothing against love.  In fact, I’m all for it.

CUPID:  Then what do you have against me?

ARTHUR:  Excuse me?

CUPID:  Cupid – what do you have against Cupid?  I mean, I can understand someone with a lousy home life and an ex or two being bitter and writing something like that, but you seem to be a well-rounded, nice guy.

ARTHUR:  Thanks.

Matthew S.

stevent

• Expositor
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2007, 11:47:28 PM »

Matthew,
That's not closure. The magazines are fine, but now I want to know what he has against Cupid.

Matthew S.

• Wordsmith
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2007, 09:36:36 AM »

I'm half way through act two now.  It looks like he don't have a thing - it was just a lark, a funny ha-ha to put on a T-shirt and make a couple of bucks.  That's exactly why Cupid came to check him out - because he didn't have anything against Cupid or love or any of that stuff.  (He's what I call the new dysfunctional family - nothing's really wrong with them.)

Basically, this is a Valentine's play designed to give he audience warm fuzzies - and a few laughs.  They talk about all the different kinds of love there are.  Arthur has an amorous dad who's wooing have a dozen trailer park widows, and a son who's not sure if he loves his girl friend but likes her an aweful lot.

I've already got the ending written.  In fact, I wrote it a long time ago.  My poem, "A Married Man's Dilemma."

It starts:

Birth is short and death is sure
And lust for love is life.
To breathe the air
Blown through your hair
And know that your my wife.

A few stanzas here and then the finale:

For all of my dilemma's pressure
Is wrought by my own strife.
To know you care
And that you're there
Thank God that you're my wife.

There's more to the ending than the poem - which I wrote for my wife on our tenth wedding anniversary because we so poor we couldn't afford to give each other gifts - but it's the kicker. 

If you're really interested, I'll let you know when it's complete.

Matthew S.

stevent

• Expositor
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2007, 04:20:15 PM »

"If you're really interested, I'll let you know when it's complete."

Sure thing. And thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

* Calendar
March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 42 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal