Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 27
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: School Records (research idea)  (Read 3261 times)

TRU

• Cub
School Records (research idea)
« on: February 05, 2012, 02:52:03 PM »

Anyone know anything about school records or report cards helping police to solve a crime?

Have any advice on how to research how/where it ever happened?

Dave Freas

• Ink-Stained Wretch
Re: School Records (research idea)
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 03:50:45 PM »

Hi Tru,

I've never heard or read about a report card helping police solving a crime, but I suppose it's possible.

My mother saved all my report cards from 1st though 12th grade.  We found them as we were cleaning out my parents' house after they passed away.  It's possible, I suppose, that information on the report cards could provide a lead to who might have killed a teacher--perhaps a poor grade in that teacher's subject prevented the killer from getting into his university of choice--years ago.

That might work better in a more contemporary setting since grades and report cards are now posted on-line at the school's website.

Just because it never happened in real life doesn't mean you can't make it work in your story.

Hope this helps.

Dave

MTH

• Ink Slinger
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 11:52:47 AM »

It could be a treasure trove. As a former teacher, I can't think of a way a report card would prove anything except a student turned in most of his or her work and did it well. The records, however, show attendance which might be very important. Records might also have testing results, especially if the kid was in special education, disabled, etc. Any suspensions, and other problems would probably be recorded but maybe not in a very illuminating way. Frequent address changes might also be evident. And other things like whether the student qualified for reduced lunch payments or which extra-curricular activities they engaged in might be in the folder as well. I say folder because even these days, I'm not sure how digital some school systems have become. (Schools aren't the fastest in using new technology because it takes money and most of the administrators tend to be older and less amenable to using computers for everything.)
And I'm pretty sure if the evidence you need reaches back 8 to ten years, the school's records would be stored in file cabinets.

linda

• Ink Slinger
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 11:04:01 AM »

If you were trying to prove that someone did know another person, a report card might show that they were in the same class.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

* Calendar
April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.012 seconds with 41 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal