Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

MWF is on Twitter. Follow @MystryWrtrs for forum tweets. See who we're following.

collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 63
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is Internet Explorer p7 any good?  (Read 3713 times)

B L McAllister

• Ink-Stained Wretch
Is Internet Explorer p7 any good?
« on: October 25, 2007, 12:56:30 PM »

A month or two ago, when I noticed that Internet Explorer 7 wasn't showing me all of some websites I wanted to see all of (including my own), I tried some other web browsers, and the only one that showed me my whole website was Opera.  It was pretty clear that the problem was of my own making,   but since I had no idea how, when, or what to do about it (yes, I looked all over for ways to attack the problem, including asking whether any MWF person had ever had the problem), I made Opera my default browser.  Perhaps Internet Explorer was insulted and has been sulking, because recently Opera developed a problem of its own, and before I figured out how to cure it, I experimented with the other browsers, including Internet Explorer 7.  They all worked as well as they had before, except for IE7, which now gives me an error message ("UNABLE TO CONNECT") no matter what website I ask it to explore.  Unfortunately, some things that occasionally must be done require IE to do them, and knowing this I figured I'd better delete what I have of it and re-load, but the computer warns me that a whole bunch of things, including  the other internet browsers, depend on IE to work and may cease to function during the period when IE is gone.  If that is so, I don't really see how I can re-load IE, since doing so requires access to the web.  So I guess I have to ask: does anybody know how to restore a malfunctioning Internet Explorer?  (I don't really see how Microsoft stays in business!)

Byron
Byron Leon McAllister.
Books by Byron and Kay McAllister can most easily be obtained as e-books or in print from the publisher at http://www.writewordsinc.com/ For "Undercover Nudist," the print version is an improved version of the ebook version. The others are the same in both formats.

Susan August

• Ink Slinger
Re: Is Internet Explorer p7 any good?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 05:20:32 PM »

Hi, Byron,

I've been missing at MWF for a while, so didn't see your earlier request.  I'm not a big fan of IE, being naturally resistant to Microsoft's desire to control my computer, and I've been quite happy with Firefox as a browser.  Coming a bit late to your original discussion...I think the problem of seeing the 'whole' web site, if I understand it correctly, is to hold down CTRL and hit the - key (as in 'minus')...this will shrink the web page to fit your screen.  I'm assuming that you mean the whole 'page' and not that it prevents you from moving to other pages on your site.  Now it's also possible that some websites aren't 'coded' to work that way, but I tried yours on my screen and it works that way with Firefox and IE.  In that case, the answer is that you just have to scroll across and up and down...sorry for that.

The 'unable to connect' message is a bit weird, but sometimes error messages are not very informative...if they don't have an appropriate message, they just provide any message!  Have you tried just making IE your 'default browser' again?  Just thinking it may be a Microsoft 'sulk'...having been rejected before!  Sorry I don't know Opera, but Firefox has a good support forum that I've used in the past to troubleshoot problems....thankfully few and far between.

Susan

B L McAllister

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 06:36:56 PM »

Firefox hasn't abandoned me yet, the way IE has, so I still use it occasionally, but it doesn't show my whole website, either.  I'm pretty sure it is not a screen-size problem: everything is normal except that  the two pictures (one of some mountains, the other of some cowboys herding a herd along a highway) that my web-builder put in (temporarily) at the top don't appear.  She says they are part of "background image," and suggests resetting the browsers that don't show 'em to "show background image," but unfortunately none of them (including Opera, which works) has such an option.  (I guess I should say, rather, that I haven't found such an option: I'm locally famous for overlooking what's obvious to others.) The lady doing the work--or most of it--is a friend, gave me a friend rate, and has full-pay stuff to work on, but she may get around to some kind of option on the website itself when she gets around to doing stuff that's a little more permanent, as opposed to holding the site together "for now."
Byron
Byron Leon McAllister.
Books by Byron and Kay McAllister can most easily be obtained as e-books or in print from the publisher at http://www.writewordsinc.com/ For "Undercover Nudist," the print version is an improved version of the ebook version. The others are the same in both formats.

B L McAllister

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 06:42:06 PM »

Have you tried just making IE your 'default browser' again?  Just thinking it may be a Microsoft 'sulk'...having been rejected before! 

IE was my default browser, until it began acting up (maybe the same way--I forget), and I switched to Firefox which had been satisfactory in every way until it quit showing parts of my webpage.  As I mentioned, I think it was something I did and can't find out how to undo. I'm not sure I want to make a temperamental browser like IE my default, even temporarily, but I'm not rejecting the suggestion forever.
Byron
« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 06:43:37 PM by Byron Leon McAllister »
Byron Leon McAllister.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

* Calendar
May 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.014 seconds with 45 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal