Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New Profile Fields Available. More info here.

collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 27
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Carrying UNConcealed?  (Read 11810 times)

Elena

• Ink-Stained Wretch
Carrying UNConcealed?
« on: February 14, 2007, 09:58:49 AM »

Our fiction is rife with examples of carrying concealed, however, I've written myself into a situation where I need to, FAST, transport a handgun legally through the city streets without the comfort of being able to be legally concealed.

What is the line between concealed and not concealed?  What options do I have?  Can it be done or are my characters trying to drag me down a dark alley?

Elena
"Head for the round house Maude, they can't corner us there!"

Chase

• Scribbler
Re: Carrying UNConcealed?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 06:47:21 PM »

Elena,

I'm not home where I can reference my book of state-to-state gun laws; however, I think whether a person may legally carry a firearms varies from city to city.  For instance, in Montana, a non-felon who is 21 years of age (18 for long guns) may carry a handgun holstered in plain sight with no special permit.  That's still the rule in my home town of Big Timber, but Montana's capitol, Helena, has passed a city ordinance against any carry of a handgun without a current concealed weapons permit.

If your story takes place in a fictional city, you may make your own rule.  If the city is a real one, you might want to e-mail the city officials.

I'm sorry if this off-the-top-of-my-head answer may not be the specifics you need.

Chase

Elena

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 07:50:14 PM »

Thanks Chase,
Just knowing that there is so much variety in what is and what isn't throughout the country is helpful.  As was the policeman I stopped in a store and asked this afternoon.  He pointed out that the response would vary depending on how the policeman saw the situation.  Many responses could be within legal limits.  So, I decided my MC, a woman, was just going to have to take the time to put it in a box and gift wrap it with ribbons and bows.  That with a big smile will get us where we're going.
Elena

Dave Freas

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 10:18:44 PM »

Don't know if it still applies (I drifted away from needing to know), but in PA (in the mid to late 70s) a gun could be carried in plain sight (on the seat of a car for example) as long as it was empty.  To transport it loaded, you had to have a Carry Permit which still required it be in plain sight--such as in a belt mounted holster.  They were easy to get.  You just went to the court house, filled out a form, and they gave you the permit.  The permits were good statewide (Except in Philadelphia and, I believe, Pittsburgh).  To carry a weapon under a jacket required a Concealed Weapon Permit.  They were harder to get.  You had to justify why you needed to carry a concealed weapon and, as I recall, the reasons were somewhat limited.  "Because I want to" didn't cut it.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Bob Mueller

• Administrator
  • Ink-Stained Wretch
  • Benevolent Admin
    • More about me
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 10:44:21 AM »

Check out www.packing.org - great collection of state gun laws.

When Ohio was going through the concealed carry debate a few years ago, there was much talk about how most police would handle open carry, where you had the weapon on your belt, completely unconcealed. The consensus was, "It depends." Some officers admitted they'd arrest on sight for causing a panic. Others said they'd look into the circumstances. Attitudes varied between jurisdictions, and even within departments.

--
Bob

Sometimes it takes therapy to put the past behind you. Other times, it takes a 20 gallon trash bag and a couple of cinder blocks.

Elena

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 11:19:35 AM »

A fascinating read Bob,
Gives a very interesting view of each state's mind set and laws about personal weapons.  Checked my three states of residence and was surprised by all of them.  One how much detail, another how little detail, and the third the focus of the detail.  Very useful for developing background attitudinal feelings. I have a much clearer idea now of how my fictional police might respond to various situations.
Thank you,
Elena

Lee Lofland

• Expositor
    • www.leelofland.com
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2007, 09:10:00 PM »

Laws do vary from state to state. For example, in Virginia it is legal to carry a loaded weapon as long as it is clearly visible. There are; however,  a few exceptions to the rule. Guns may not be carried on school property or in banks.

By the way, sorry to bo so sporadic with my posts. We're still in the process of moving and I was in Ohio all of last week. Thanks for the snow, Bob!
There are no perfect crimes, merely imperfect investigations.

www.leelofland.com

Bob Mueller

• Administrator
  • Ink-Stained Wretch
  • Benevolent Admin
    • More about me
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2007, 12:35:08 PM »

Thanks for the snow, Bob!
No problem - you should try riding in it!

--
Bob

Sometimes it takes therapy to put the past behind you. Other times, it takes a 20 gallon trash bag and a couple of cinder blocks.

Lee Lofland

• Expositor
    • www.leelofland.com
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2007, 12:51:27 PM »

Oh I did, Bob. I also spent three days clearing my 225 foot driveway and sidewalks so the movers could get in. After they finished on Thursday I drove back to Boston. Parts of highway 81 and 80 were closed due to snow and ice. It snowed during most of the trip and the Poconos were treacherous.  It was a real peach of a trip. It took me 16 hours to get back.
There are no perfect crimes, merely imperfect investigations.

www.leelofland.com

Dave Freas

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2007, 01:20:17 PM »

Oh I did, Bob. I also spent three days clearing my 225 foot driveway and sidewalks so the movers could get in. After they finished on Thursday I drove back to Boston. Parts of highway 81 and 80 were closed due to snow and ice. It snowed during most of the trip and the Poconos were treacherous.  It was a real peach of a trip. It took me 16 hours to get back.

If I'd known you were travelling through my stomping grounds, I'd have offered you a bed.  I live less than a mile from 80

Dave

Peg H

• Ink Slinger
    • Doggoned Mysteries
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2007, 05:03:43 AM »

If I'd known you were travelling through my stomping grounds, I'd have offered you a bed.  I live less than a mile from 80

Dave

Lee,
Knowing Dave as I do, it wouldn't have been merely a bed, but he'd have given you a good meal, plenty of hot coffee and lots of good conversation too.

;D

Peg H
If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you haven’t tried before.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

* Calendar
May 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 [18]
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.012 seconds with 40 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal