Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read this important notice about the November 2018 outage.

collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 24
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New small handgun  (Read 4843 times)

Chase

• Scribbler
New small handgun
« on: March 27, 2007, 11:52:53 AM »

Several times here, we’ve discussed handguns for women.  This may be of interest to writers who arm heros and villains with smaller hands.

The April ‘07 American Rifleman cover features an actual-size photo of Springfield Armory’s new shrunken 1911 in 9 mm for concealed carry.  The “Enhanced Micro Pistol” holds an impressive nine rounds plus a chambered one, and the EMP is a two-toned thing of . . . well, if “beauty” doesn’t fit your pistol, it sure is cute.

Wiley Clapp, whose firearm opinions I respect, writes in the cover story, “Big-bore advocated may condemn the century-old 9X19 mm as lacking in power, but the 9 mm ammo of today is not your daddy’s 9 mm. Improvements in propellants are giving this old cartridge more zip, but the real breakthrough is in the terminal performance of 9 mm bullets.  They are vastly superior to what they were 20 years ago.  In plain terms, a small 9 mm semi-automatic is a viable choice as a defensive handgun.”

Clapp’s positive spin is true, but those improvements also hold true for the .40 S&W and .45 ACP.  Paraphrasing the song in Annie Get Your Gun: “Anything your wonder nine can do, my forty-plus can do better. . . .”

And that goes double for revolver cartridges having greater case volumes to work with.

The point is that modern handguns are being improved in ways modern mystery or crime writers may want to parallel.

Chase

JIM DOHERTY

• Wordsmith
    • http://www.deadlyserious.com/JimDoherty
Re: New small handgun
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 04:10:18 PM »

Chase,

In the past, I've carried .38's and 9 mm's, but my current duty weapon is a 1911-style .45. 

I'm with Godzilla when it comes to firearms choice.  Size does matter.

Chase

• Scribbler
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 07:34:02 PM »

Jim,

We're of like minds in that area.  It's why I stressed the other side of Clapp's argument.  If new powder and bullet technology can make the Luger nine better, think how much better they can make the .45 ACP.  If I were an officer of the law today, I'd carry a brace of .45s, twenty-'leven magazines, and pockets of loose rounds.

As it is, I hunt with a .45-90, a Ruger Alaskan in .480 Ruger as backup.

Speaking of backup, thanks for yours.

Chase 

Peg H

• Ink Slinger
    • Doggoned Mysteries
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 01:52:48 AM »

If I were an officer of the law today, I'd carry a brace of .45s, twenty-'leven magazines, and pockets of loose rounds

Not only did you give me a giggle but you even got the hubby laughing.   ;D

I have small hands, but I'd rather use my hubby's 4003 Smith and Wesson (40 cal) with Crimson Trace Laser grips than his smaller 380.  The S&W still fits comfortably in my hands and that lovely little red dot shows I mean business and do not intend to miss.  Smaller guns for small hands is not always a better thing.  Good and comfortable grips can make a large gun fit a more petite hand.  I would have to shoot the Springfield before I could decide if I liked it or not.  Cute doesn't cut it, functionality does.

Peg H
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 02:58:39 PM by Peg H »
If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you haven’t tried before.

Chase

• Scribbler
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2007, 12:43:12 PM »

Peg,

Of course you’re spot on about function trumping looks in the real world of shooting.  My comments were for descriptive purposes only, and as some big lugs do, I tend to equate petite with cute.  Yes, I want to pick up and cuddle pygmy rattlers.

But I’m with many others here who wouldn’t even consider trying out Springfield's micro pistol, no matter how enhanced, as it’s just a 9 mm.  That’s like replacing your parachute with a parasol.  Totally chic . . . until your only engine catches fire.

Just for more giggles, there’s the other side of the cute coin.  Many years ago, Magnum Research and Israel Military Industries developed the Desert Eagle, a gas-operated pistol designed to fire more powerful revolver cartridges, beginning with .357 and .44 Magnums.  As effective as was the Desert Eagle, it looked like a high school auto shop project awarded a D-minus.  In its case, looks translated to unwieldy.  Cumbersome to carry and a chore for all but the most ham-handed to shoot, reloading was like inserting a blocky 8-track cassette.

Still, it became the darling of Hollywood, especially with add-ons of bulky lasers and telescopes.

When wheel guns in law enforcement went the way of hula hoops, I knew of only two Montana cops who opted for and stuck with the Desert Eagle to retain .357 Magnum power.  They were easy to spot due to the list to one side when they walked.

Chase

Peg H

• Ink Slinger
    • Doggoned Mysteries
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2007, 03:11:33 PM »

They were easy to spot due to the list to one side when they walked.

Doesn't really matter what weapon they carry, they all list to the side.  Retire a cop and he/she will still list to the side.  I tell people, "I'd know that walk anywhere."  Of course the hubby claims carrying his 4003 and wearing his 25 lbs of 'utility belt' and vest was what kept him walking a straight line the last couple years before his MS forced his retirement. 

I've fired a Desert Eagle and his S&W 44 magnum, just for chits and grins.  Both are too much gun for me.  He taught me well.  We both shot in local competitions, usually coming in second and first, and he wasn't always the first place winner. ;D 
Some of the other shooters would ask him how he could stand to have his wife beat him and his reply would be, "I'm proud that she can."  Have to love a man like that.

Peg H

If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you haven’t tried before.

Chase

• Scribbler
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2007, 07:54:34 PM »

Peg,

Forced retirement from a job one loves is sad for any reason, but few are worse than MS.  I’m sorry.  Not close to the same, but my teaching days ended due to total deafness (genetics, not guns, as if that makes a difference).

Ha ha ha, you’re right.  Those who pack iron seem to have a certain walk.

Never understood the mindset that women should somehow be lesser shots than men.  It’s neither borne out by my reading of history nor my personal experiences.

The Desert Eagle is too much gun for me, too.  It can’t even be toned down for extended practice like a revolver with .44 Specials or other lesser loads.  DEs are highly ammo-sensitive.  Light loads often won’t work the slide, and non-jacketed bullets tend to jam.

Chase
Pages: [1]   Go Up

* Calendar
May 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 [18]
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 43 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal