Mystery Writers Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
collapse collapse
* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 25
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Robotic car disabler  (Read 6507 times)

Elena

• Ink-Stained Wretch
Robotic car disabler
« on: December 03, 2006, 09:56:01 PM »

Some years ago I read an article about a device that was designed to live under the front end of a police car which in the event of a high speed chase could be released and would head for the car in front of it.  When it got under that car it would disable the car's electrical system.

Does anyone know if this is actually in use?  Or even anything about it.  As I recall it was an article in a magazine for private security people.

Elena
"Head for the round house Maude, they can't corner us there!"

Bob Mueller

• Administrator
  • Ink-Stained Wretch
  • Benevolent Admin
    • More about me
Re: Robotic car disabler
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 02:27:45 PM »

I know there are researchers working on a microwave-type system that's supposed to overload the car's electrical system and/or fry the computer, but as far as I know, it's still several years off. Don't recall seeing a robotic version.

I've also heard of research into a system that would allow a pursuing cruiser to shut down an engine via a radio code transmitted to the car's electronics. The drawback to that is that it would require the manufacturers to add stuff to the car, raising the price (and creating privacy fears).

--
Bob

Sometimes it takes therapy to put the past behind you. Other times, it takes a 20 gallon trash bag and a couple of cinder blocks.

Lee Lofland

• Expositor
    • www.leelofland.com
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 03:24:35 PM »

The microwave/electronic system is the only one I've heard of, too.

I'd like to see someone invent a "stupid" button that would allow a police officer the option of shutting down stupid drivers. You know the ones I mean - the ones talking on their cell phones while driving twenty mph on the freeway, or the ones who are eating, drinking, and applying three or four coats of make-up while driving. I saw one guy not long ago eating a bowl of cereal while he was driving with his knee.

This brings to mind a cold, cold night when I was working radar and stopped a car on a deserted stretch of highway. The car was doing about 80 when it zipped past me. I got the car stopped and when I walked up to the drivers door I found myself talking to a male uniformed corrections officer who worked in a local prison. I leaned down to see who else might be in the car and was a little shocked to see a totally nude man sitting in the passenger seat. I told him to get dressed so I could talk to him to find out what the heck was going on. That's when I discovered that the passenger was handcuffed to the bottom of his seat, and to make matters worse he didn't have any clothes with him.

The two were apparently playing a little game and for kicks and took their fun on the road. After things finally checked out I issued a summons and sent them on their merry way. I can assure you, this was one time when I didn't "pat" anyone down.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 07:03:15 PM by Lee Lofland »
There are no perfect crimes, merely imperfect investigations.

www.leelofland.com

Ingrid

• Wordsmith
    • The Official IJ Parker site
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 05:13:41 PM »

LOL, Lee.  That would be great in a book.

As for the technological question: I don't have the answer but I read recently that there is no excuse for police chases (endangering innocent drivers) because technology is available. So something is out there.

Ingrid

Susan August

• Ink Slinger
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 05:32:03 PM »

I googled this concept and found an article on it.

Here's the link for anyone who's interested.  http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/FutureTech/story?id=538452&page=1

Susan

Elena

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 06:14:26 PM »

Hi Susan,

The microwave signal technology does sound promising in limited applications.  One thing the article failed to mention was the possibility of it wiping out perfectly innocent cars who had the misfortune of being nearby with similar frequencies.

The little guy I'm looking for from the photo appeared to be about 16 by 24 inches and short enough to hang under the police car complete with little wheels.  The idea was that it would be shot off like a horizontal rocket and when it sensed it was under the speeding car would disable it's electric system.

I would like to use the idea and can manage the technology decently enough - EXCEPT - what would power it?  Or could power it?  The robot would have to be capable of speeds in excess of what a car might do in a high speed chase.

After watching a number of episodes of Mythbusters, I'm not sure there is a practical propellent out there.

I thought about "inventing" something using an on-board GPSS system, but having a car that advanced is too far out of character for my situation. 

All of this is in [  ]  assuming I will come up with an elegant solution while I continue to write.  I feel my stubborn bone coming on.

Elena

dhparker

• Ink-Stained Wretch
    • Donna Parker's Home Page
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2006, 07:45:58 AM »

Elena, I remember seeing something on tv about the rocket thing, too.  I couldn't find anything else about that, but here are three other possibilities.  Hope something will help.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=1576247
http://mb-soft.com/public/carchase.html
http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0005/28/sm.05.html

Elena

• Ink-Stained Wretch
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2006, 09:26:06 AM »

Three fascinating web sites - thank you so much.  The ABC News story can be modified to work well for my situation - it doesn't require any retrofitting of the bad guys car.  Actually, I hope the technology works and is widely available.  Those high speed chases, especially with the sky filled with newscasters helicopters, are tragedies waiting to happen. 

The second one using a remote control to trigger an installed device has it's problems.  Being the owner of a Subaru, I also happen to live in an area where there is so much interference with the remote frequency  that sometimes it doesn't work at all, and other times I have to get within two feet of the receiver for it to work.  Plus I only have one keyhole.  Safest car in the world - I can't even get into it when someone parks too close to me  >:(

However, frustration aside - the sort of remote they are talking about would require the pursuing vehicle to be dangerously close in order to work especially  in any sort of hilly or curving situation.

Nice to know people besides fiction writers are working on this.

Thank you for finding these goodies for me.

Jonathon

• Wordsmith
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2006, 04:06:35 PM »

The remote controlled toy cars equipped with the EMP to disable cars weren't very practical.  I heard too many of them got hit by cars and wrecked before they could do their job.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

* Calendar
May 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 [18]
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

Paying the bills...

* Forum Staff
admin Bob Mueller
Administrator
admin MWF Bot
Administrator
gmod MysteryAdmin
Global Moderator
gmod laurihart
Global Moderator

Page created in 0.23 seconds with 42 queries.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal